Win 1886 Question

3031 strikes me as being a fast pistol type powder that looks on the surface to be possibly unsuitable for an old gal, but I see so many references to it being used in 45-70 loads and being effective I may just have to try it out.

As far as 5744, I never seem to find it, its always sold out :p
 
Thanks chaps. I don't have any 3031 yet, I want to focus on working a nice H4198 load first (since its the powder I have at hand).

Does anyone load 4198 in the guvmt? I tried my first loads out using rounds I had loaded for my old Trapdoor. They were mildly mild and barely able to organize themselves properlly on the paper, although they all made it there.

I loaded some new rounds with 32gr of H4198 behind a 350gr bullet based on the top end of the Trapdoor loads published in the Hodgdon reloading center and things are definitely tightened up now, although my groups are still going different spots (may be the sights now, they are harder to use, the rear sight seems to be some sort of flattop not a normal buckhorn)
 
Back
Top Bottom