Win. 1903 ammo

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I any one shooting their 1903 Win. semi-auto rifle? Just wondering if there is any ammo available. Win. auto .22. I just picked up a gun, should be a nice little shooter. Some outfit was making new stuff a while back.
Thanks, Bill..
 
I any one shooting their 1903 Win. semi-auto rifle? Just wondering if there is any ammo available. Win. auto .22. I just picked up a gun, should be a nice little shooter. Some outfit was making new stuff a while back.
Thanks, Bill..

I had one for a while, as a teenager. Sort of kick myself that I sold it. While they split the shells, you can fire 22 long rifle in them, single loaded. Something I never tried but suspect might work, would be to use one of those little plastic pencil sharpeners and put a long tapered "pencil" point on the long rifle shells. The guns will not feed 22 long rifle shells unmodified but I suspect the reason for the long tapered point on 22 auto shells is so that they will feed from the magazine to the chamber

cheers mooncoon
 
Check out your local gun shows for ammo. Usually some old stock kicking around at least there is here on the east coast.

I don't recall ever seeing 22 auto shells for sale. Around 1960, I was able to buy 2 boxes of them and they were fairly old at that time. One box functioned perfectly but the other box, only about 1/2 of them would fire. I presume that the priming had deteriorated

cheers mooncoon
 
I read somewhere that Aquila Ammo had produced repro ammo for a while. Don't know much about them, and never seen the ammo. I'll check that out, maybe try a couple .22 longs for fun.
 
I've been able to procure a some here on the EE and on that other firearms canada site.
You just have to keep an eye open.
There was a fellow out west that recently had an ad here to which I responded.
I did not end up buying them but he may still have the box.
Perhaps if you put a WTB ad in the EE something might pop up.
Old Western Scrounger put a run out a few years ago, I scored a box of these:
25cd752199f620fdda829df2c1bb1264.jpg

$50 a box on gun auction:
http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=11291451
 
Last edited:
Keep an eye out at gun shows, some times you can find them in newer boxes as someone just bought them to get the box for their collection and didn't want the ammo. I picked up some Dominion stuff at the Regina show a few years back in a modern plastic box, payed 35 bucks just so I could shoot mine once in a while .
 
Back
Top Bottom