Win 94 worth?

mananer

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have been trying to dwnld pics but can't seem to figure it out so........I have a winchester 1894,30 wcf, serial # 41### with a 26" octagon barrel,tang sight( I believe all the sights are original),no rust or pitting(pretty much all patina).From what I can find out it was made in 1895 which is apparently the year that the 30 wcf was introduced. The stock has the normal compression marks of a used but taken care of rifle but some idiot decided to tap it for a scope( holes are on left side of receiver and have been fitted with custom screws).I have been trying to find out what it may be worth after seeing some '94's in worse shape and much higher serial #'s on Gunbroker and the Cabela library. Is there some authority on the subject that I could get hold of to give me an idea? I do know how to e-mail pics and I will try to post some here when I get a friend to show me how. Thanks for taking the time to read this and any suggestions are appreciated.
 
It's only value is as a shooter or hunting gun. The drilling and tapping have ruined it as a collector piece. From your description I would guess $400-$500. If you stripped it and parted it out, twice that amount.
 
Such a shame. Mike Webb is right on, mabye 600$ on a good day, but more parted out.
 
Have to realize that what some of this stuff goes for in the states is way more than we get here for it. I recently picked up an 1894 26'' full octagon, full mag tube in 32 special. It is in great shape, receiver has lots of blue left ,barrel and mag tube almost has all the bluing still. I paid 750.00 for it, similar stuff in the states goes for at least twice that some places.
 
Serial number dates the gun at 1898. It is antique as it was made before 1899. But unfortunately it is a permanently altered rifle. Value is of a shooter and no collector value. I would value it at $250-$350.... only to have an octagon rifle.
 
Thanks for all the responses.I appreciate the input.I figured the drilling for the scope would really affect the value. I was more curious than anything,I can't figure out why some of these are priced so high,but then again that doesn't mean they are being sold for those prices. The gun is a sweet shooter ,I have taken deer with it since I've owned it and will continue to take it to the range and the occasional trip to deer camp..I only wish it could talk,kinda cool to be having lunch in the woods ,look down to see a rifle that is over 100 yrs. old and wonder what stories it could tell.
 
Back
Top Bottom