Winchester 1873 Model 3 in 44 WCF

I think you would be best advised to leave it the way it is. The cost of restoring it would be as much or probably more than the increase in price that you hope to get. Part of the reconstruction would involve a new stock because that one has been heavily sanded and refinished.

cheers mooncoon
 
High quality full restoration on a 73 SRC will run around $5000 US at least at Turnbulls. Then you will have a rifle worth $5000 US. Leave it as is and value will be maybe as high as $2000. I would buy two original sideplates on EBAY or Gunbroker to replace the modified ones. The price for the sideplates will increase the value of the carbine more than that. The carbines are far more scarce than the 73 rifles.
 
Need to know the condition of the locking toggles - always the critical issue of a '73 and the condition of the breech face ejector and the extractor to determine if its still a "shooter". ANY missing parts are like "hen's teeth" to replace/find. In its present condition it would NOT classify as a collector item so therefore should be "cleaned up" to stop the rusting and to preserve it as a family heirloom.
 
Need to know the condition of the locking toggles - always the critical issue of a '73 and the condition of the breech face ejector and the extractor to determine if its still a "shooter". ANY missing parts are like "hen's teeth" to replace/find. In its present condition it would NOT classify as a collector item so therefore should be "cleaned up" to stop the rusting and to preserve it as a family heirloom.

On the contrary, it is collectable. Model 1873 carbines were usually well used and this one has been well used but not abused. Missing action parts are for sale on EBAY every day and are not prohibitively expensive. Older model Winchester levers do not have to be in "high condition" to be desirable to a collector. You will see twenty 1873 rifles for sale for every saddle ring carbine you see.
 
Guy's; I'd say leaving it as it is is like ' closing the barn door after the horse is runt oft '.
5 K to rebuild is crazy.
Personally, I'd cold blue it, oil it up and shoot it. Or not, your call.
Can't ' unring the bell ' to leave it untouched, I'm guessing it's seen some steel wool or Emory cloth already.
I've had antiques that someone sanded to bare steel; a commercial custom re-blue looks just like what it is, a rebuilt firearm.
Cold blue is easy, cheap and in instances like this...relatively non-invasive. And you don't have to sigh and shake your head everytime you handle it. It wears relatively easy so you can distress it for a worn Patina if you'd like.
IMO, this is not an in-the-white carbine. It looks like a well meaning ( but sadly ill-informed ) individual tried to take it to bare steel.
Don't do any more damage, by any means. But a cold blue wash wouldn't hurt it; christ if you don't like it, about 2 minutes with steel wool and you are back to where it is now.
At least it'd hide the Emory cloth marks.
IMO, of course. Purist's will throw their arms in the air and cry " No, think of the children! " but this one's been dycked with. Can't change that fact, no matter how sad it is.
My brother in law got an original 1897 Winchester reblued ( properly done) and it looks like spinners on a Model 'A'
And I'm of the opinion that case hardened steel looks great; but it's like turquoise jewelry on Women...Too much, just too much!...always overdone.
 
Last edited:
If I had my choice between that ol' girl just as she sits and a brand new Miroku 73, I know which one I would take home in a heartbeat. The old girl is good just the way she is ...especially no "cold blue" overhaul for my taste.
 
If I had my choice between that ol' girl just as she sits and a brand new Miroku 73, I know which one I would take home in a heartbeat. The old girl is good just the way she is ...especially no "cold blue" overhaul for my taste.

Some folks like that look. I guess you'd be one.
Myself; I've had lots of old stuff around, got an antique, high back, centerfire cinch saddle just off behind my chair as I speak. I don't baby it but I also but upkeep on it. Repairs as needed, saddle soap, new cinch, maybe a stitch or two where req'd...then I ride it.
Guns are the same. Got an 1894 Winnie 38-55 in the white, nice patina; 6-8 deer under it's belt. I hunted much of this year with a 1894 man'f 30-40 Krag; same thing, nice worn patina.
Use them.
But if someone has laid into it with the Emory cloth ( Like I suspect this has one had done ), I'd wash it in cold Blue and then oil it...then use it.
But I'm funny that way. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just what I'd do.
Stay safe
 
I appreciate all the feedback. Seems to be pretty universal to leave it as is. As to the question of the ejector extractor etc., all of that works. As far as refinished stock, I don't believe it has been sanded. When you look close at the wood, some of it is proud and some is quite low. It appears to me as though 130 years of being in the very dry Alberta climate has shrunk some of the wood in the grip area. The forearm and butt stock areas are still proud of the metal.

One other question, I know I can sell these into the states with very little paper work. My guess is the market and price would be quite a bit stronger in the states. Am I right that I should market it here and the States to get the best price? Thanks to everyone for all your help!!!
 
I don't think you will get more in the U.S. necessarily, you see a fair number of 73 SRC's for sale there. Practically none in Canada. On looking at the pictures of the stock where it mates with the steel I think wood has been removed in places. With shrinkage it tends to be uniform not up and down. The difference in the money might end you up with a higher price in the U.S. than here. It isn't a high dollar rifle for a '73 but it still has value. Like I said I would try to replace the "stippled" parts before selling it personally. Good luck.
 
On the contrary, it is collectable. Model 1873 carbines were usually well used and this one has been well used but not abused. Missing action parts are for sale on EBAY every day and are not prohibitively expensive. Older model Winchester levers do not have to be in "high condition" to be desirable to a collector. You will see twenty 1873 rifles for sale for every saddle ring carbine you see.

yes of course I know '73 parts are available on ebay.com BUT did you happen to notice how many DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA??? YES years ago I bought all my parts off eBay but times have changed. AND beware of an outfit in Tuscon advertising/selling "genuine authentic reproduction parts" which DO NOT FIT nor work ...
 
Back
Top Bottom