Winchester 1873 parts?

polkey

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
238   0   0
Location
Washago,On
Anybody know a source for parts for winchester 1873's? Thinking about picking up one for fairly cheap in 44-40 but it's missing a few pieces, left side plate, right toggle link, firing pin, nothing terribly important;). If not i guess it might make a nice wallhanger, has a really nice bore too.
 
Many of the replica Uberti parts are inter-changeable in a pinch if you just want a shooter..........Harold
 
I just got a bunch of parts to rebuild the internal action of an original '73 from Winchester Bob (google it to get the website). Trouble is, he only ships to a US address. I might be able to help out with that if you shoot me a PM. I don't think he will have a side plate or a toggle link right now (they are sold in pairs). You might have to find out if a modern Uberti toggle link set will fit an original '73 and sideplate. Winchester Bob does have replacement firing pins, as I just got one from him.
 
Not sure if the uberti parts i need would work, especialy the toggle links, also missing is the forearm tenon & screws and firing pin retainer. Not sure which generation of firing pin it would use, i believe acording to my google fu it was made in 1889. Do these guns have much value, the outside is quite badly pitted but the internals (what is still there) are actually clean and solid
 
Most sellers don't recommend Uberti parts being used on an original 73. They usually have a disclaimer that "these parts may require fitting to function in a Winchester" and are not generally recommended. I have been looking for 73 parts to rebuild a 73 SRC that went through a house fire for a few years, difficult to find. You almost have to buy a rifle to get parts and even a beater 1873 isn't cheap.
 
Another option is to keep an eye on GunBroker. Parts often come up for auction. They won't be cheap, although I think they are a lot cheaper now than they were a couple years ago.
 
Yes, there are usually 73 parts on Gunbroker but the problem is getting them into Canada. I gather you have a US mailing address or an American friend, lucky guy! I have seen some items I would love to purchase but can't get them here. I wish the US government would soften their stance on gun parts shipped out of the country. A Canadian looking for a hammer for an 1886 Winchester is no threat to Homeland Security.
 
Back
Top Bottom