Winchester 1885 question/concern

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
While I was cleaning my 1885 I had the hammer cocked at one point and "levered" the gun, but this time it felt differently. I realized after when the gun is cocked you can't operate the action, but I managed to do it accidently. Did I hurt anything in the action? It seems to operate fine.
 
I don't recall not being able to operate the action when an 86 was cocked. However it has been some time since I owned one. Are you sure there is some sort of lock on the action when cocked?

cheers mooncoon
 
All my 1885s will operate the lever when fully cocked, this includes originals, C. Sharps repro's, low walls, Highwalls, etc.....I recall that being a prob. with another old single shot, possibly the Ballard. I do however,always put the rifle on half ####, before I open the lever, this is for Sharps rifles and 1885s, not the Rolling Blocks.
 
You are right Ben, I had a look at the 1885 again and it's just more difficult to operate once it is cocked. It would only make sense that you would be able to unload the gun with the hammer cocked/half cocked.
 
Back
Top Bottom