Winchester 1885 value?

norseman1867

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
Ontario
I have a Winchester 1885 Highwall rifle that I have owned for about 47 years. It is a lovely gun with the following special order features:
32" Number 3 weight octagon barrel in .32-40
Single set trigger
Mid range vernier rear sight
Windage adjustable front hooded sight
Manufactured in 1905
Blueing on barrel and receiver is still mostly bright and cover most of the gun
Wood is unrefinished and with a few minor scratches but no cracks.
Crescent buttplate
Bore is shiny and bright with virtually no wear.
Cody Museum verifies the features

The gun has a replacement Winchester barrel in .32-40 as was the original barrel. The barrel is marked as "O.F." Meaning it was not fitted by Winchester gunsmiths. The barrel was stepped back about 1/2" and rebored to .32 Ideal so this pretty much ruined serious collector value.

I wonder what the value is in today's market?

I9P23yk.jpg

pY6L99c.jpg

QAUZxYk.jpg

DUDTSEP.jpg
 
Last edited:
Being a non factory rebarrel takes it out of the collector and into the shooter value. Maybe a grand, but I’m guessing. Good luck.
 
I think it'd go for higher than that depending on bore condition and wood. The single set trigger and windage adjustable sights, plus the midrange rear make it better :). I'd be surprised if it wouldn't sell at $1800.

Chris.
 
Last edited:
The barrel has a perfect mirror finish bore and is a factory Winchester replacement but not installed by them as indicated. I would be interested in buying .32 Ideal ammo as I would love to shoot it. I have a few old reloaded cases but have never shot it. I wouldn't sell it for $1000.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom