Winchester 1885

gunlaker

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I just got back from the Kamloops gun show. I was looking for an 1885 single shot in good condition. There wasn't much there, except for one that really stood out. It was an under 200 serial number, 40-70 SS calibre with what looked like a #3 barrel. The wood was in good shape, with one crack in near the top of the butt plate, but great everywhere else, hardly any nicks. It looked like it originally had a single set trigger, but the screw was missing. From what I could tell, it was unrestored. The asking price was $6250. A real nice piece of history, but I'm not confident enough regarding probable value to have made an offer. Maybe I'll be kicking myself later :D

Chris.
 
Nice, I paid MUCH less for mine, though it isn't perfect. I hope it to be a shooter. It's in 44-40 and I would already like another in 38-55. They are very cool, nice feeling action.

PS, were there other 1885s at the show?
 
Nice, I paid MUCH less for mine, though it isn't perfect. I hope it to be a shooter. It's in 44-40 and I would already like another in 38-55. They are very cool, nice feeling action.

PS, were there other 1885s at the show?

I saw another 1885, a thin side, in .45-90 WCF but it was in rougher shape. I think I've seen this one before at the HACS show in Burnaby but I'm not 100% certain. That was all I saw as far as original centre fire ones.

I'd like to pick up a shootable one (something to take out on sunny Sunday afternoons now and then :D) in maybe .38-55, .40-65, or .45-70. Although that .40-70 straight was pretty cool.

It seems like nice ones easier to get in the states.

So far my 1885s are limited to couple of Brownings and one C. Sharps. I like those just fine, but there is something special about an original.

Chris.
 
Gunlaker, I share your enthusiasm for the 1885 and also for the good repros like your C. Sharps, but you where right to pass on that one, early Highwalls draw a premium if they are a special model or have rare org. options such as schutzen models, etc. I can hardly see paying half for that rifle IMHO...but I wasn't there to see it!!
 
I might be selling my 85 in 38-55 but it will be pricey:p;)

That 40-70ss was on John Taylor's table and I have found him to always be 25-30% over priced, but thats only my opinion. The barrel might have been a #4 and it was 28-30 inches but I didn't really pay to much attention to it for I wasn't interested in it, but I noted his price:eek:
 
I have an 1885 Hi-Wall ... a local gun from here in the Hamilton area ... swiss-butt plate .. single-set trigger .. lyman tang sight .. target front .. #3 - 30" 1/2-round 1/2 octagon .32-40 but Parker-Hale sleeved to .22 hornet back in the 40's - nice shooter for coyotes and woodchucks ... letters from Cody-Museum 1890 ... I'll be posting it in the EE section soon ... thanks
 
Last edited:
Something you don't see every day.....
Model 85, .38-55 with 36" #2 octagonal barrel, double close-set triggers and boy does she shoot.:)


March28021.jpg
 
Win Shooter, of all the Winchester Model 1885 varieties out there, yours is the precise one I have often thought would be my favorite. 38-55 caliber, #2 octagon barrel with standard plain stocks. The 36" barrel would make that front sight a lot easier to see with my old eyes. Very lovely rifle you have there.
 
Win. Shooter, I have always heard that the close coupled double set triggers were problematic and they didn't work on most old guns you stumble upon, have you any thoughts on that trigger arrangement??
 
When I shot her I hardly used the set trigger for fear of breaking them so I really can't say to there reliability. The value of this piece kind of tempered any hard use which usually isn't a concern for me.

I sold her this week and this is my way of saying good bye and letting you guys have a look at what us uneducated westerners have to play with out here:p New owner is cool with this and will appreciate her immensely (thanks Brent:wave:)
 
I just got back from the Kamloops gun show. I was looking for an 1885 single shot in good condition. There wasn't much there, except for one that really stood out. It was an under 200 serial number, 40-70 SS calibre with what looked like a #3 barrel. The wood was in good shape, with one crack in near the top of the butt plate, but great everywhere else, hardly any nicks. It looked like it originally had a single set trigger, but the screw was missing. From what I could tell, it was unrestored. The asking price was $6250. A real nice piece of history, but I'm not confident enough regarding probable value to have made an offer. Maybe I'll be kicking myself later :D

Chris.

That price is out of line for what it is.If it were a good tight,un cracked gun,good bore with #3 maybe 3500-4000,but that would have to be pretty decent
 
Win. Shooter, I have always heard that the close coupled double set triggers were problematic and they didn't work on most old guns you stumble upon, have you any thoughts on that trigger arrangement??

I have owned them with standard trigger, close set double, wide set double and single set triggers. The only one that I didn't like was the close set double set trigger. It tended to be very erratic in how much tension it took to fire.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom