Winchester 1886 40 82 WGP

Haven't seen an 86 with a $500 price tag in 25 years. Even rough guns can be torn down and sold as parts for much more than that. It is a grey gun and at the low end of the value scale and the stock repair hurts it as well. If the bore is good I would think $1500-$1800 for value roughly. If you can establish provenance regarding the J.H. Giles name and he was a "bad man" value could be triple that from what I have seen of historically significant Winchesters. Average prices for 86's in original but well worn condition are seldom south of $2000 in my area. I sold a couple actions complete a while back for over $500 apiece.
 
I agree with what Mike Webb said. Pretty hard to find an honest, unmessed with working '86 for less than $2,000. Repairs will bring the value down a bit.
 
Down boy...down now I told you!!

Hah, I was trying to get that out of the way as it was inevitably the next question that would be asked. The old 'hard to tell a price without seeing and knowing the overall condition' thing. But I agree with the others, I have an 86 in 45-70 that probably isnt in much better condition than that one and that was still half way to 3k.....7 years ago
 
Haven't seen an 86 with a $500 price tag in 25 years. Even rough guns can be torn down and sold as parts for much more than that. It is a grey gun and at the low end of the value scale and the stock repair hurts it as well. If the bore is good I would think $1500-$1800 for value roughly. If you can establish provenance regarding the J.H. Giles name and he was a "bad man" value could be triple that from what I have seen of historically significant Winchesters. Average prices for 86's in original but well worn condition are seldom south of $2000 in my area. I sold a couple actions complete a while back for over $500 apiece.

Ya, but. If that's a western gun the bore, function will be pooched. I've never gotten a good vintage lever out of sask or Ab. If that's where it's from it most likely won't even function/feed the way Your used to seeing them from the other provinces. Back in the BP mercuric days those that went west went as work horses. Rode hard and literally put away wet
 
Ya, but. If that's a western gun the bore, function will be pooched. I've never gotten a good vintage lever out of sask or Ab. If that's where it's from it most likely won't even function/feed the way Your used to seeing them from the other provinces. Back in the BP mercuric days those that went west went as work horses. Rode hard and literally put away wet

Just going by what the OP said, that the bore looked good.
 
Ya, but. If that's a western gun the bore, function will be pooched. I've never gotten a good vintage lever out of sask or Ab. If that's where it's from it most likely won't even function/feed the way Your used to seeing them from the other provinces. Back in the BP mercuric days those that went west went as work horses. Rode hard and literally put away wet

^Unfair generalization. I've seen some pretty darn ugly/rusty Winchester repeaters from the maritimes. But the heirloom I have, purchased in 1956 is cherry. Why is that you say?

Because the prior owner took great care of it.
 
^Unfair generalization. I've seen some pretty darn ugly/rusty Winchester repeaters from the maritimes. But the heirloom I have, purchased in 1956 is cherry. Why is that you say?

Because the prior owner took great care of it.

I'm not saying guns can't be made cruddy anywhere. What I am saying is that if You look at when it was bought the west was a place that guns were going to. To be used to their fullest. Typically in an industrialized prov like Ontario they were going to hunt then on someones wall. I can still remember walking down a porch in northern AB. Sickening wet damp and miserable. It had been junk weather for quite a while. We were out talking to land owners getting permissions and there's this 94 in a soaking leather scabbard hanging from the outside wall for God knows how long. Oh hold on maybe we could have done a carbon 14 on the mold that grew like moss out the sides. I've sold old winnies to folk in sask and ab and later thought OH cwap I should have told them about one thing or another. Called em up and nearly got eaten over the phone for what a gem I sold them. No there is a general difference

JUST SAYIN
 
Back
Top Bottom