winchester 1886 repro

johnl

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Location
Mom’s basement
Picked up a nice repo on the weekend. Just finished putting 100 rnds through it. Looks like the Italians finally got it right. Rings the gong just like an original, but without the price or hype:p



IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg
 
Very nice rifle..gotta get one. I don't know much about long-guns so when you say 45-70 is that .45 Cal. with 70 grains of powder behind it??? Do you have to load your own cartridges or can you buy them.
I don't have a problem with reproductions ...they are usually in better condition and a whole lot less expensive than originals and don't loose a lot of value if you shoot them a lot.
 
The original Army load was 70 grains with a 500-grain slug for rifles, but there also were Carbine loads (55 grains) in the same case and with lighter bullets: 405, 350. You can still buy it, but I don't like the idea of the jacketed bullets in an old barrel: the early ones were very soft (before 1893 or so).

All the old-time cartridges were named like that: .44-40-200, .38-40-200, .32-40-165, .44-77-386, .45-120-566 and my personal favourites: .450-85-480 for the Martini-Henry and .577-65-480 for the Snider (although British ammunition was never listed like this) et cetera.

It worked.
.
 
I have an original from 1894 that got a deer last year for me, however I would like one of these to take out in the crappier weather.

Where did you pick this one up johnl?
 
Island Outfitters in Victoria. They brough in two, one is left I believe. Marstar made some noise about them but haven't received any yet. Obviously an orginal would be more desireable, but getting one that has not been fingered over the years and with a nice finish is impossible, unless to want to drop 5 grand and up. No this is an cheap alternative, hell for the price, you can lose it and go out and get another:p Too bad Browning doesn't re-introduce them too.
 
That is one sharp rifle! I may finally be able to afford an '86 now. You said it will ring the gong...but have you put it on paper yet? Just curious to see what it will do for you.

Steve
 
Back
Top Bottom