Winchester 1886

True Canadian Rob

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
Pitt Meadows BC
I know its not quite an antique but i thought you guys would appreciate this.

30kukao.jpg


Probably my favourite rifle i have, its a winchester model 1886 from 1907 chambered in .33WCF in very good condition.
 
Last edited:
Nice old T/D. The sling is a later add on though.

Thanks, i didn't know about the sling, i was told it was original by some people i have had check it out. Ill stop saying it is lol.

Fine old rifle. Wish it could replay videos of the hunts it was on a hundred years ago.

Oh i wish. It my great grandfather used it to feed his family during the depression, my grandpa likes to tell a story where he watched his dad shoot a deer through a tree trunk at 60 yards. :p
 
Like Mike said, the sling was indeed added later, but cool gun. I sold off all my 86s but one, my 33WCF. Same configuration as yours. I really like the rifle. I wish Winchester would do a run of the old cartridge once in awhile. Very, very hard to find ammunition for. Yes, I dare say that ol gun took a few deer in its day, and I imagine they did not run very far. 33WCF is a good chunk of lead, and it moves right a long. Thanks for sharing.
Matt
 
Like Mike said, the sling was indeed added later, but cool gun. I sold off all my 86s but one, my 33WCF. Same configuration as yours. I really like the rifle. I wish Winchester would do a run of the old cartridge once in awhile. Very, very hard to find ammunition for. Yes, I dare say that ol gun took a few deer in its day, and I imagine they did not run very far. 33WCF is a good chunk of lead, and it moves right a long. Thanks for sharing.
Matt
Hard to find ammo for? It is, and always was, a necked-down 45/70... I have shot mine lots with a mixture of .33 wcf, and 45/70. It was a lot of gun in 1907, and still is. I never figured out why the 30-30 model 94 lasted all these years and the .33 model 1886 didn't. The '86, IMHO, is a far superior rifle, and one of my all time favourites. My .33 was made in 1894 (S/M 93,###), but was shipped back to the factory and re-barrelled, which was a common practice for a while, after the introduction of smokeless powder.
My grandfather carried a .33 for 50 years (my cousin inherited it, the bugger) and my dad used to tell a story about Grampa meeting an old native guy in the bush one day. The native guy checked out Grampa's .33, then dismissed it as being too small of a bullet. Grampa suggested they shoot into a tree, and compare. The native guy popped 45/70 into the tree, went over, put his little finger into the hole and proudly showed that the slug had gone in almost to the third knuckle. Then Grampa popped one in with the .33. The walked up to the tree, and the guy started laughing, "no hole, white man missed tree". Grampa said "look around back". There was a slab of bark about 2 feet long missing, where the .33 had passed right through. Native guy said "hrmph", and went home. Family folk lore...gotta love it!
 
Hard to find ammo for? It is, and always was, a necked-down 45/70... I have shot mine lots with a mixture of .33 wcf, and 45/70. It was a lot of gun in 1907, and still is. I never figured out why the 30-30 model 94 lasted all these years and the .33 model 1886 didn't. The '86, IMHO, is a far superior rifle, and one of my all time favourites. My .33 was made in 1894 (S/M 93,###), but was shipped back to the factory and re-barrelled, which was a common practice for a while, after the introduction of smokeless powder.
My grandfather carried a .33 for 50 years (my cousin inherited it, the bugger) and my dad used to tell a story about Grampa meeting an old native guy in the bush one day. The native guy checked out Grampa's .33, then dismissed it as being too small of a bullet. Grampa suggested they shoot into a tree, and compare. The native guy popped 45/70 into the tree, went over, put his little finger into the hole and proudly showed that the slug had gone in almost to the third knuckle. Then Grampa popped one in with the .33. The walked up to the tree, and the guy started laughing, "no hole, white man missed tree". Grampa said "look around back". There was a slab of bark about 2 feet long missing, where the .33 had passed right through. Native guy said "hrmph", and went home. Family folk lore...gotta love it!

The reason the 94 and the .30/30 was much more popular than the 86 and the .33 is pretty straight forward. The 94 was cheaper, lighter, fit your hand like practically no other rifle and handled like a dream especially in carbine form. And the .30/30 would kill anything you wanted dead on this continent. Same reason if you are looking for an 1892 Winchester, you can find quite a few rifles in extremely nice condition but just about every carbine you see looks to have about a million miles on it. Most folks much preferred the lighter, shorter Winchesters for hunting.
 
Hard to find ammo for? It is, and always was, a necked-down 45/70... I have shot mine lots with a mixture of .33 wcf, and 45/70. It was a lot of gun in 1907, and still is. I never figured out why the 30-30 model 94 lasted all these years and the .33 model 1886 didn't. The '86, IMHO, is a far superior rifle, and one of my all time favourites. My .33 was made in 1894 (S/M 93,###), but was shipped back to the factory and re-barrelled, which was a common practice for a while, after the introduction of smokeless powder.
My grandfather carried a .33 for 50 years (my cousin inherited it, the bugger) and my dad used to tell a story about Grampa meeting an old native guy in the bush one day. The native guy checked out Grampa's .33, then dismissed it as being too small of a bullet. Grampa suggested they shoot into a tree, and compare. The native guy popped 45/70 into the tree, went over, put his little finger into the hole and proudly showed that the slug had gone in almost to the third knuckle. Then Grampa popped one in with the .33. The walked up to the tree, and the guy started laughing, "no hole, white man missed tree". Grampa said "look around back". There was a slab of bark about 2 feet long missing, where the .33 had passed right through. Native guy said "hrmph", and went home. Family folk lore...gotta love it!

Yes, indeed hard to find ammo for unless, as you have pointed out, you reload. I was talking more about finding original ammunition. I have a friend who has hunted for years with a Marlin 1895 in 33WCF, and he does just that, necks down 45-70. I have several boxes of 33WCF in my collection - 17 boxes - and a couple shooter boxes as well, but that was very difficult to come by, and most did not come from up here. Here is a quick pic of the ammo:

Great story on the tree shooting contest, enjoyed reading that.
Matt
 
I have found a few boxes of ammo but the guy was firm at $60 a box which is too rich for my blood... I do have 6 full boxes that came with the rifle, cant wait for the summer to get it to the range and put a few rounds through it.
 
Yes, indeed hard to find ammo for unless, as you have pointed out, you reload. I was talking more about finding original ammunition. I have a friend who has hunted for years with a Marlin 1895 in 33WCF, and he does just that, necks down 45-70. I have several boxes of 33WCF in my collection - 17 boxes - and a couple shooter boxes as well, but that was very difficult to come by, and most did not come from up here. Here is a quick pic of the ammo:

Great story on the tree shooting contest, enjoyed reading that.
Matt

Matt, you realize after posting that pic your mailbox is going to fill up with, "Can you sell me a box?" requests. Nice bunch of stuff and very collectable by itself.
 
Wow! Nice stash! If I were closer, I'd be happy to reload for you, but....
Oh, to the OP, I forgot, nice rifle! It's really cool owning a piece of old family history like that, and having the stories that go with it.
 
Matt, you realize after posting that pic your mailbox is going to fill up with, "Can you sell me a box?" requests. Nice bunch of stuff and very collectable by itself.

Thanks Mike. Yes, I have already had a gentleman PM me asking how much for all 17 boxes, but as I told him, they were hard to come by, all but two I brought up from the US. Really don't plan on selling any. According to Ray GILES who co-authored the Winchester Cartridge Book, the 2 piece CIL / Dominion on the far right is probably the most rare box of 33WCF made. The other two flat Dominion boxes are very nice too. The 10 "1946" Winchester boxes are all but new, but my favorite is probably the Peters Rustless on the back, with the cartridge call out on the front. Love the look of those boxes, and that one is mint. Peters had some very nice, colorful boxes. I am doing ok with my 33WCF collection, still working on the 348WCF. Got a few nice boxes, but not near this many. Would you believe me if I told you I had a box of Peters 210 grain 348WCF coming?? I know! I never knew 348 was produced in 210 grains either. Peters did for a very short time, and there are no other offerings by any other manufacturer in 210 grains. Also have a Remington "Dogbone" box of 348 coming. Will have to post some pics when they come in.
 
Wow! Nice stash! If I were closer, I'd be happy to reload for you, but....
Oh, to the OP, I forgot, nice rifle! It's really cool owning a piece of old family history like that, and having the stories that go with it.


Thanks! Wish you were closer, lol. One of these days I will get into reloading, but with an 8 month old now, it is hard to find the time do do anything anymore. But, that is ok :)
 
Matt74, those 8 month olds just get cuter and cuter. That is a magnificent stash of 33 W.C.F.!!

True Canadian Bob, it sounds like you got a good supply of 33 W.C.F. that will keep you happy if you reload. If you need more, though, $60 a box for obsolete ammo sounds pretty good to me .... I've paid that much for 20 empty obsolete brass for the 45-60.
 
Kirk, you are right. The 8 month olds do indeed keep getting cuter...and, $60 is a good deal in my books as well. The lowest I have seen shooter boxes (rough boxes of clean ammo) is $60, sometimes you might beat them down a bit. Start getting condition on the boxes and they get more expensive. Any box I find at $60 would likely come home with me.
 
Matt74, those 8 month olds just get cuter and cuter. That is a magnificent stash of 33 W.C.F.!!

True Canadian Bob, it sounds like you got a good supply of 33 W.C.F. that will keep you happy if you reload. If you need more, though, $60 a box for obsolete ammo sounds pretty good to me .... I've paid that much for 20 empty obsolete brass for the 45-60.

I do agree that $60 is good for it but I'm currently going to school and off work for 4 months so money is a little tight right now.
 
I have found a few boxes of ammo but the guy was firm at $60 a box which is too rich for my blood... I do have 6 full boxes that came with the rifle, cant wait for the summer to get it to the range and put a few rounds through it.

Sixty dollars a box for obsolete ammo like 33WCF doesn't seem too bad considering that 45-70 ammo is currently running from $45 to $57 a box plus tax at Cabela’s.
 
I like the graphics on the old Peters ammo boxes. Some of the packaging on older items was a work of art. Enjoy the baby. I should warn you that my daughters all sprouted horns at around 14 of age but they went away after about 5 or 6 years. HAHA
 
Back
Top Bottom