Winchester 1894 Guru's

plinker 777

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
70   0   1
Hey guys; is there an easy and definitive way to tell a pre-'64 from a post '64. Forgive me I'm a newb where these rifles are concerned. I have a bit of a lead on one chambered in 30-30 with a scope on it.

Any help would be appreciated, if I'm able to come to an agreement I'll post pics.

1954%2030-30
...just right click the weird green square and open it in a different tab guys. Have I said I hate photobucket and it's 1984 Microsoft usability lately? :(
 
Last edited:
Oldguns.net is a great site for looking up the age of a gun based on make and serial number.
I was able to find the pre 64 date on a 1894 I bought recently.
Hope this helps. :)
 
I usually start with seeing the receiver, no straight lines in a pre-64. This meaning the screws don't form any straight lines, they are all staggered from each other. I suppose there are far more knowledgeable gurus out there that have better ways but that's how I start.
 
On the bottom of the action there is a small rounded screw head sticking up through the plate that the lever passes through. The post 64 has no screw in this plate.
 
Well, I picked it up for $150 and I believe i did ok on it. The serial number does put it as a pre-64 {*edit, according to the serial number it's a 1954*}(2,055, ###), 20" round barrel in 30-30 with a flush magazine.

I'm wrestling with photobucket currently and will get pics up (promise) but in the meantime...

The Good: The bore is minty and the feed gate isn't worn (heck its barely scratched). The wood isn't broken, cracked or shrunk. all hardware is tight.
The Bad: At one point in time someone had sling swivels so both buttstock and forewood have holes :( There is also places where the bluing is damaged, dings to the stocks.
The Ugly: The receiver has been drilled and tapped for a scope. It looks professionally done (Weaver mount on RS of the receiver) and it comes with an old Tasco Japan glass 3X9X32 and Weaver rings?

So on with the newb questions as I've never owned a Winchester before, the only other lever I own is an 1899 Savage which is quite different. The previous owner has marked the numeral 4 on the bottom of the receiver (right behind the round headed screw)...any idea what that's about?
Also, on the lever there is a little offset 'button' although i can see that depressing the button does 'something' in behind the trigger, it is not a safety...the hammer will fall if the loop of the lever is not depressing the 'button'. So what is it for?

Dry fire...yea/neigh?
How do I clean inside the magazine?

Cheers,
Plinker
 
Last edited:
Am I here first? Woo Hoo! Many of the questions are beyond my knowledge, but the ones I do know: The little button is supposed to prevent
firing until the lever is all the way up and thus the bolt will be fully in battery. Mine does not work, yours may not either. Dry firing: Big NO-NO
on these old Winchesters, so I have been told, apparently the firing pins are brittle or something and the tip overextends and breaks off due to
metal fatigue. I don't fully understand how that happens, but it happened to mine. Cleaning the tube: one set screw near the muzzle end and
then unscrew the large end cap, spring comes out and there you are! Somebody correct me if needed and answer the rest of the questions!
 
I don't see a green square to click on, in your first post. I also don't know how much the value is changed by the scope drilling and tapping.
One thing I do know, is that I would be very happy to find any useable Winchester for $150 or even $300. I think the rifle you are describing
is worth about $400.
 
Wow! That is a mint condition for 1954! It looks too new somehow. But if it is all original, I am upping my guess to $600, maybe it should be more
with the scope?
 
The bluing is worn through on the bottom of the receiver where the support hand goes, right over the serial number. I suspect it was held for far more hours than shot. I'm going to source a few boxes of ammo this weekend and take her out for a rip at the range. We'll see how it groups with factory loads.
 
Wow! That is a mint condition for 1954! It looks too new somehow. But if it is all original, I am upping my guess to $600, maybe it should be more
with the scope?

The drilled and tapped receiver hurts value badly for a collector. It will make a nice hunting rifle just the same but I would value it around $350 personally for the bare rifle.
 
Super cool gun, the scope has got to go. I was shooting under 3" at 100 yards with the irons, but through the scope it was stringing vertically and to the left. I really like the cartridge (not the price! {over $1 per round}), perceived recoil is around that of the russian 7.62x39mm (mild) but it seems to have a wee bit more punch/flatter trajectory. A really good 200 yard and closer rifle. After shooting it, I can see why they were so popular.
 
Back
Top Bottom