Winchester 1894 Octagonal barrel. Made in 1907!

AlbertanBound

Regular
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
med hat
Hey guys so tell me if this doesnt belong in this part of the forum but in my eyes, this is definitely an antique. I just picked up a Winchester model 1894 made in 1907 chambered in 30 W.C.F. the rifle has signs of wear all over except the barrel, which is nice and deep and clean. I am so excited to take this guy out hunting, its got the full 26'' barrel with the long tube mag underneath. I love lever guns so I think this will be prime. Anyone have any experience or tips for a girl this old? I was think of mounting a scope on er but I figured that might be bastardizing something beautiful. Anyway guys, if ya got any opinions shout em out! And once again if this is in the wrong forum sorry....
 
Congrats, no this is a fine forum for antique Winchesters.

Many of us have original .30 WCF's, they are a favourite. Mine still shots wonderfully, despite having been used to its fullest. I'm running mainly cast light loads just because I do shoot it a lot, but it runs factory loads just as well.


Pictures???
 
Im gunna try and figure out the picture thing, I havent quite figured er out yet. Do you make ur own bullets then? I will be shooting it often, I love levers! Not to mention the crescent moon stock, very cool.
 
Yes, a scope would bastardize the ol gal. Why don't you try mounting an original Lyman or Marbles tang sight on the rifle. That way there won't be any extra holes, and I find they sure can help you shoot. I can shoot far better with one of those than open sights. Congrats. Nothing better than an ol lever gun.

Matt
 
Im gunna try and figure out the picture thing, I havent quite figured er out yet. Do you make ur own bullets then? I will be shooting it often, I love levers! Not to mention the crescent moon stock, very cool.

I don't cast my own, just because my time is already accounted for at 150%.

Bullet Barn is a great source, check with CGN Jethunter though as well. A local guy here casts them for me as well (non-commercial).


PICTURES:

1) h ttp://imgur.com/ (there are others but this is quick & easy)
2) Click "upload Images>'Computer'" from the upper right
3) Select images
4) "upload" when prompted
5) View your images; for each image, on the right, is a "message board & forums" link that you copy
6) paste the copied link from 5) above, into the text of your post here
7) you're done

Good luck :) and happy shootin'
 
Thanks guys I will most likely leave her the way she be, which defeats the purpose as to why i bought it but no biggie its a thing of beauty the way it is! Pictures will be posted soon thanks for the simplified version. Anyone know where to buy a lyman or marbles sight?
 
Buy a mossberg tactical and put that in the safe something so ugly should be abused and something so beautiful should be locked up safe only to show and brag maybe target shoot it once in a blue moon lol
 
Sounds like a beautiful rifle. I say use it, but don't abuse it and don't do irreversible mods. Buy a Marlin or Mossberg that is tapped for scopes if that is a must.
That rifle was designed to outlast our kid's, kids...and it appears to be well on it's way at doing that.
 
Ya. I feel like altering it might be like slapping god in the face. Its just wrong lol but it will not be a safe queen. None of the guns I own are! I definitely like the idea of those lyman peep sights. They apperently require no drilling.
 
Buffalo Arms, in Idaho, can likely fix you up with a brand new Marbles, and the screws to go with it. http://www.buffaloarms.com/marbles_standard_tang_sights_pr-4069.aspx
Gun shows are another possibility, if you want an original one. I have both Marbles and Lyman sights on Winchester 94's and 86's, and either is excellent. The nice thing about the new ones from Buffalo is that you can get different sized eye cups, which I like. Enjoy your new rifle, and by all means, shoot it! That's what it's for.
 
No need to send the rifle. The tang is already drilled and tapped, and they will send you the proper screws, if you call and talk to them. Easy-peasey. The guy I talked to there is very knowledgeable, and very helpful. You might find one in Canada, of course...
 
Back
Top Bottom