Winchester 1895 and 1901

rifle308

New member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
Far South, AB
I have just been given two old Winchesters that I know very little about. The first is a 1895 in .35 WCF I have never heard of this round before and after a little research I am realizing that this round is going to be hard to find. I do not reload so this is not an option, I have had some tell me that they can be made from .405 brass but was hoping that someone knew of a source for already made ammo. Also just wondering if anyone had a clue as far as value, I know condition and original parts all make a big difference, but what I would like to know is if the .35 WCF is rare and if that adds or takes away from the value.
The second one I was given is a 1901 10 gauge, I know that these were made for smokeless powder and I think for 2 7/8 shells if anyone can confirm that. I would love too shoot this gun but I would like someone who has had experience with this gun and what you used to shoot it. Also i f anyone has an idea on value that would also be great. Any other tid bits of info on these guns are greatly appreciated I always love learning about guns I don`t know about.
 
.35 WCF had a good reputation during the latter half of the 19th Century/early 20th. I have a bunch of brass (unfortunately too corroded to reload). It was also chambered in the 1886 Winchester.

It is not common I'm afraid, as it sounds like you've discovered. I don't know how common the '95 is in that chambering
 
.35 WCF had a good reputation during the latter half of the 19th Century/early 20th. I have a bunch of brass (unfortunately too corroded to reload). It was also chambered in the 1886 Winchester.

It is not common I'm afraid, as it sounds like you've discovered. I don't know how common the '95 is in that chambering

It was never chambered in an 86' you meant 85 ;)

No 95 caliber's were offered in the 86, at least from the factory.
 
Last edited:
The 1895 was not as successful commercially as the 1886, 1894, 1892, 1873 models. The big smokeless chamberings are the most sought after in my area(.35 win. and .405 win.). Most of the production of the 1895 went to Russia as military rifles in 7.62x54 Russian chambering. The .35 and .405 were popular guns for heavy game around the turn of the century. The .35 as standard had a 24 inch round barrel, crescent rifle butt(ouch!), schnabel (sp.?) forend and standard Winchester sights. Any deviation from that( shotgun butt, takedown, special sights, deluxe wood, checkering etc.) all add value. Pics are required for any estimate of value but amount of finish remaining will be determining factor. In decent shape both are worth $1000 each at least, the 1901 being rather uncommon.
 
.35 Winchester was a good cartridge for the guy who wanted to hunt heavy game in rough conditions but who did not want his back teeth rattling every time he pulled the trigger on a .405. It was one of the chamberings for the commercial 1905 Ross sporters and saw some success in British India in reducing the Hungry Tiger population level.

The ammunition might be purchased from custom shops but it is going to be expensive. Much cheaper to pick up a press and a set of dies, get some Hornady 405 brass, lube and full-length size: end of problem. You can use .357/.358 pistol bullets for plinking loads, full-house for Mastodon, Cape Buff or T-72. Expanding sporting bullets are readily available and WILL flatten Marvin Moose with a single well-placed round. You then buy a second deep-freeze for Marvin and have Moose Stew to your heart's content.

Nothing to be afraid of in handloading, friend; rocket science it ain't. I started when I was 19 and still haven't blown myself up. That was a lot of years ago, but I do stick with reasonable loads. Handloading only becomes hazardous when you start pushing the envelope. It is the ONLY way to produce reliable, accurate ammo for some of these old rifles. The cost of having ONE BOX of 35 Winchester made will pay for the equipment..... and you get to use the tools for the rest of your life. Proper loads are listed in the 1961 Lyman/Ideal handbook; PM me if you want exact specs.

I think that if someone dropped a couple grand in rare firearms on ME, I would sure as heck want to make them go boom.

95 Winchster of any calibre is rare..... and two-thirds of all production went to Russia. Of the remaining guns, the 35 likely is the least common.

35 was not chambered in the '86 action due mostly to length. The 95 action was regarded as much stronger and more suited to Smokeless loads. The 35 was never made as a Black Powder round. Production continued until WW2 interrupted everything.
 
.35 Winchester was a good cartridge for the guy who wanted to hunt heavy game in rough conditions but who did not want his back teeth rattling every time he pulled the trigger on a .405. It was one of the chamberings for the commercial 1905 Ross sporters and saw some success in British India in reducing the Hungry Tiger population level.

The ammunition might be purchased from custom shops but it is going to be expensive. Much cheaper to pick up a press and a set of dies, get some Hornady 405 brass, lube and full-length size: end of problem. You can use .357/.358 pistol bullets for plinking loads, full-house for Mastodon, Cape Buff or T-72. Expanding sporting bullets are readily available and WILL flatten Marvin Moose with a single well-placed round. You then buy a second deep-freeze for Marvin and have Moose Stew to your heart's content.

Nothing to be afraid of in handloading, friend; rocket science it ain't. I started when I was 19 and still haven't blown myself up. That was a lot of years ago, but I do stick with reasonable loads. Handloading only becomes hazardous when you start pushing the envelope. It is the ONLY way to produce reliable, accurate ammo for some of these old rifles. The cost of having ONE BOX of 35 Winchester made will pay for the equipment..... and you get to use the tools for the rest of your life. Proper loads are listed in the 1961 Lyman/Ideal handbook; PM me if you want exact specs.

I think that if someone dropped a couple grand in rare firearms on ME, I would sure as heck want to make them go boom.

95 Winchster of any calibre is rare..... and two-thirds of all production went to Russia. Of the remaining guns, the 35 likely is the least common.

35 was not chambered in the '86 action due mostly to length. The 95 action was regarded as much stronger and more suited to Smokeless loads. The 35 was never made as a Black Powder round. Production continued until WW2 interrupted everything.

I see .35 Winchester old Kynoch loads often at gunshows here in the Maritimes, sold in ten round packages. Do you know if this stuff is boxer primed?
 
I just did a "Yahoo" search on the Model 1901. That's quite the shotgun - a lever action rolling block 10 ga. One post says it may be worth up to $3000 if in 90% condition. They were made from 1899 to 1931. The Model 1901 was only made in 10 ga.

There are a couple of YouTube videos about the Model 1901. In one of them the guy says it shoots 2 7/8" shells.
 
Yup, 1901 fired short 10 which is 2 7/8 inch. Unfortunately you have to roll your own cause most companies only make 10 in 3 1/2 inch. 1901 was an Upgrade to the 1887 shotgun which was black powder only, and avaliable in 12 and 10 gauge. The 1901 was only avaliable in 10 as to not compete with the model 1897.

1887 is a more valuable gun, even though there were a lot less 1901's made. Easiest way to tell the difference between the two guns is if the lever is a single piece on the 87 or 2 on the 01.
 
Back
Top Bottom