Winchester 1895 magazine

Oilsands

Regular
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Location
Alberta
I have a Winchester 1895 30-Govt-06 rifle. I had to replace the box magazine, so posted and got one. Upon inspection of it, I noticed some slight differences. I thought they were all the same, so I am looking for some information on if more than one mag was made for different calibers? The photo has the two differences circled in yellow, the top mag is the original that was with the rifle and the bottom the one I received.
Winchester 1895.jpg
Winchester 1895 2.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Winchester 1895.jpg
    Winchester 1895.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 67
  • Winchester 1895 2.jpg
    Winchester 1895 2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
The magazines for the .30-03 and .30-06 in a 1895 Winchester are different because of the rimless shells and the overall lenght of the cartridge, the new mag you got looks like for a .30-40 Krag or .303 British. They are not intercangeable in all cases, you can try but I don't think it will feed properly without modification.
There is also a early version were the follower spring is a V-shaped spring located under the barrel and a late version that has a coil spring in the magazine for the follower.
 
Thanks for the info, this clarifies what I was thinking but was unable find the support doc. I searched online for parts diagrams and all showed only the one magazine.
Yes they do not fit into the rifle as they are not cut back enough, plus they do not accept the cartridge as the 30.06 are longer and need the cutout inside the magazine.
 
So looks like a few different mag's were made depending on the calibre. Mind taking a photo of yours and posting, as would be good info to share?
 
Back
Top Bottom