Winchester 1895's

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Just curious about this one. My father has an old 1895 Winchester which was handed down to him from an uncle many years ago. The gun is chambered in 38-72 and I've never seen another on here in this particular chambering. We loaded up some ammo a few years back and it was a very good shooter. Sights are stock winchester open sights and the gun appears 100% stock. It's not for sale under any circumstances but I would like to know a little more about it including value and rarity. Thanks
 
Very difficult to tell condition without pics, this is one of the 2 org. BP chamberings for the '95, and I'm not sure if all were flat sides or not, and obviously can't tell if your's is flatside or not.(sides are flat and mag. is much less tapered toward front). If in NRA good cond. or better....$2000 or slightly more as I've seen them bidded up to $2400 in the USA.
 
It would be better than NRA good condition... Wood is very nice and the majority of the original bluing is intact. I don't remember much taper to the mag and I doubt there is much as the 38-72 is a rather long fat case....
 
It would be better than NRA good condition... Wood is very nice and the majority of the original bluing is intact. I don't remember much taper to the mag and I doubt there is much as the 38-72 is a rather long fat case....
The 38-72 was available in with a round barrel and a tapered octagon barrel. The tapered octagon usually commands more value, but either is nice to have in 38-72.
 
In my area 95's don't seem to generate the interest that the other Winchester levers do, maybe because they are kind of ungainly looking rifles. Personally I like them and the .38/72 should be an awesome woods rifle, great penetration!
 
IMHO the 95 is the most beautiful lever gun.

I concur, although I didn't always believe this. When I first got interested in leverguns a few years ago, I remember seeing pictures of the 1895 and thinking, "Naw, that's not for me." A couple of years ago, I found myself at the Royal BC Museum in Victoria and saw a 1895 carbine (303 British, I think)in one of the display cases and my opinion completely changed. In person, it didn't seem at all as ungainly handling as I'd imagined from the pictures... in fact, I thought it to look a very trim and neat rifle.

I don't own one, yet, but have been keeping my eyes open... there seem to be a few around with shot out bores.
 
I have a Winchester Model 1895 in .405 WCF.Nice rifle but a little on the heavy side for my taste in a rifle.Works well and shoots well.
 
I also have a Win 1895 in 35 WCF and its great! one of the levers that will not leave my possesion. I just came across an 38-72 that has been in the same family since 1896! this gun is the nicest model 95 I have ever come across, the bore may have had a few boxes of ammo shot threw it in its life! I always liked the look of the flat sides as the just have a look that tickles me pink! If anyone has an old flatside that is in need of a full restroation, please PM me here.take care Dale in T-Bay
 
I really like the old 1895s. They have character. Teddy Roosevelt hunted with them, the 405WCF was his "big medicine". The Arizona Rangers as well as the Texas Rangers were quite partial to the 1895s, especially SRCs in 30-40 Krag. Many even saw battle in the Mexican revolution and many of Pancho Villa's boys fought with them, again many with 30-40 Krag SRCs. Russians ordered a big bunch of them too. Some neat history.
I have a nice TD in 405WCF that I moose hunt with, and have a nice 40-72 (dated 1905) on the way that I look forward to trying out.
Nice guns.
Matt
 
Last edited:
Ninety-fives are actually far scarcer than the number manufactured would suggest.

When you look at the production figures, it shows that TWO-THIRDS of ALL '95 production went to Russia.... and very few ever came out again.

Same story with the Canadian Ross Mark III: Russia ended up with 2/3 of total production and they haven't let them out yet.
 
All these posts and no owners of these fine arms post a single photo.

Tabernaque:p




I was wondering, is the action related to the Martini Henry?
I have one and truly love it, are the actions related??

Heres a picture of my Martini henry for example;)

Martinicomplete001-1.jpg
 
I kinda kicked myself for not buying another '95 yesterday. I watched a fair condition one in 38-72 (now the second one I've seen in that caliber) sell at Switzers auction for $400. The pipe wrench marks on the barrel and gouged up chamber along with the name carved in the buttstock convinced me to pass though......
 
Well, the 40-72 showed up in the mail today. Almost like Christmas! It is a 1905 gun and is in excellent original condition. Lots of blue left and wood finish is very nice. And, the best part is that the bore is like a mirror. Apprently it has had less than 2 boxes go through it. Even got a few original cartidges with it, as well as the original - though tattered 2 piece Winchester cartridge box - and 16 brass. Hard to find black powder cartridge rifles in the 1895s with bores like this. Should be a great shooter. Here are a couple pics. Also in these pics are an 1894 30WCF I recently picked up which letters with the Lyman windgauge target front and Lyman combination rear cup disc. The Lyman tang sight is neat b/c instead of the one aperture, there is a tiny disc you can turn which gives you the option of 3 different sized aperture holes for use. That gun dates to 1907.
IMG_0165.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0166.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0167.jpg
[/IMG]

Matt
 
Matt, I am so green with envy, they should be giving me carbon credits! What a gorgeous 40-72!!!

Thanks Kirk. I hope to do some shooting with it this fall. Like I said, the bore is pristine, so it should shoot well. Just need to find a matching 38-72 now!

And, thanks for the heads up Dale!

Matt
 
Back
Top Bottom