Winchester 38-72 ; '94 or '86 ?

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
An old friend of the family has a Winchester 38-72. I saw it as a youth so I don't recall if it was a '94 or an '86. The 38-72 cartridge; is it too long for the '94 action? I'm slowly trying to finangle a deal and a fair offer is needed. I'm going to need to dig deeper if it's an '86; trying to plan ahead.
Thanks
Tokguy
P.S. I'll post pic's if I get 'er
 
If it's an '86, friend, you can make most of the cartridges out of .45-70 or .45-90 brass. The .38-56 makes with just FL sizing from .45-70, the .38-70 from .45-90. Also .40-82 from .45-90, .40-65 from .45-70 and so forth and so on.

Any of the traditional '94 cartridges can be made or faked from .30-30 brass, including .25-35, .32 Special, .32-40 Ballard/WCF, .38-55 Ballard/WCF . The last 2 will be a bit short, but the rifle doesn't mind if you seat the slugs to the correct OAL.

Let us know what it is, for sure!

Have fun!
.
 
Thanks for the help all.
I was amazed to find several folks PM'd with a request for pictures; which is cool.
Pic's on the rifle I'm refering to may be a long time coming , maybe never.
But I've got several pic's of Bear Paw's gun (GF's Grampa)
It's a 45-70 1886
102_0251.jpg

It was for sale but a few lowball offers offended him so it's kinda back to being a safe queen
102_0247.jpg

Now Bear Paws say's next year we are going to take it deer hunting. He's 84 and strong as a bull so... I'll keep you posted
 
Not too sure about the safe, friend, but that old girl's a QUEEN if ever there were one.

Nice original '86 in the easiest-to-get calibre: still in production.

One little crack in the woodwork.... which can be fixed if you're careful.

Check the serial number: rifles made before they switched to better steel (1893 if I recall rightly) had very soft barrels which do not tolerate modern bullet jackets very well.

Tell Bear Paws he has a real beauty. I can only wish that mine looked half as good.
.
 
Back
Top Bottom