winchester 44 wcf

caycusion

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
b.c.
i've got a winchester lever in 44 wcf. what is the way to go for modern ammo? can i shoot the 44 mags in it safely?
 
44WCF (44-40) is atotally different ctg than 44 Mag. The 44-40 is larger in case diameter and 44 Mags will split when fired. The 44 Mag is a much higher pressure ctg.
 
The .44-40 is a bottleneck catridge that uses a .427 bullet while the .44 mag is a straight walled catridge that uses a .429 bullet and operates at a higher pressure.

BAD idea to mix the two, theres a reason the gun is stamped .44 WCF .
 
i belive your only options are winchester cowboy action ammo (about a buck a round) or keep your eyes open at gun shows for vintage ammo
 
pretty sure the OP didn't know that 44WCF(Winchester Center Fire) was/is 44-40

I have shot factory Remington Express 44-40 out of my ancient 14 1/2 with no ill effects.
I'm pretty sure if my old pump will take it a lever will.
I bought a box @ WSS before I found components.
Brass is available from most major suppliers.
 
I've had a few vintage Winchesters in 44 W.C.F. The oldest one I had was made in 1878. Modern factory ammo made by Winchester is safe to use in these old guns, although you won't find it listed as 44 W.C.F. anymore. The usual designation is 44-40. Winchester and Remington load their factory ammo to protect their own backsides. In other words, they load it to be safe in these old guns where the action and steel is not as strong as modern firearms. You should be able to get Winchester or Remington 44-40 ammo at any shooting supplies store. For those who wish to reload, brass, dies and bullets are all easy to get.
 
Greetings,

44 WCF, also known as 44-40, is a great cartridge and you will enjoy shooting it. It has been known as the cartridge that won the west.

DO NOT shoot any other 44 calibre cartridge in it unless you want a boom going horribly wrong.

If you want to buy ammo, Winchester Cowboy Ammo is available in 44-40 and can be found for a reasonable price. Just shop around.

If you want to learn about reloading this great cartridge, first learn about reloading. Gain knowledge from books or from someone experienced in reloading. As has been said above, it is a bottleneck cartridge, and recquires care when reloading. Dies are available from Lee, bullets and brass can be found at just about any good toy store, and load data ia available free online for all your needs.

I learned how to reload on this cartridge and I am glad I did. Learn how to reload a bottleneck cartridge and you can reload anything.

Read, learn and enjoy. 44-40 in my opinion is the king of cartridges as far as I am concerned. Can be loaded down for plinking and loaded up to take down deer and reasonable distances.

With Greatest Respect,

Matt
 
44-40 in my opinion is the king of cartridges as far as I am concerned.

Just for the sake of :stirthepot2: I think 38-40 is pretty cool. If 38-40 was a woman....wowza. ;)

And to re-iterate everyone else, read up, learn up and avoid making any mistakes which may hurt you or your guns. Once you see both rounds beside each other you'll know why you can't swap them.
 
Never too late to learn at least he asked here first before blowing himself up with a .44 mag load........................no need to stay uneducated..............Harold
 
Greetings,

I agree. I had an original 1892 in 38-40 and I loved it.

Matt

Just for the sake of :stirthepot2: I think 38-40 is pretty cool. If 38-40 was a woman....wowza. ;)

And to re-iterate everyone else, read up, learn up and avoid making any mistakes which may hurt you or your guns. Once you see both rounds beside each other you'll know why you can't swap them.
 
Just for the sake of :stirthepot2: I think 38-40 is pretty cool. If 38-40 was a woman....wowza. ;)
Now yer talkin'. Although I still have one old Winchester Model 53 44-40, my favourite cartridge of the series is the 38 W.C.F., otherwise known as the 38-40. Here is a photo of some 38-40 cartridges and bullets ....

38-40-bullets.jpg
 
Now thats one darned fine looking cartridge, more curves than a New York Supermodel! One day I will get my pair of Colt SAA's in 38-40 to go with the old 1873 and then I will be set.

You sure do take good pictures 38-55! Thanks
 
thanks for the response guys. my confusion stems from the remington interchangability chart that states tha 44 wcf and 44 remington are interchangeable. i now realize that 44 rem and 44 rem magnum are quite different and are not interchangeable ....thx again...
 
If you can't easily/cheaply find .44/40 cases - they can easily be made from .303 British cases. Just cut to length and expand the case neck. Depending on the chamber you may have to turn the rim.
 
If you guys have a source for 44-40 brass please share, I have tried several places and no one in Canada seems to stock it at the moment. . .even Starline is backordered.
 
Back
Top Bottom