Winchester 555 - Garbage?

bluemike807

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
Bought a box of this stuff from the local Wally World on account of it being cheaper than anything else. Havent had a chance to shoot it yet, but will before too long. Had a look at the rounds, look like really nice hollowpoints, with application for hunting - is that a fair estimate?

What have been peoples' experience with this ammunition?
 
i found that they work as good as any other bulk or "cheap" ammo, some jam, some wont chamber, but thats to be expected. honestly for the amount that you shoot in a hunting situation, you are better off getting a high end ammunition. i have gone through countless boxes of cheap 22 to the one box of my cci stingers that i use for hunting only. i think the box of cci stinger i have now is going on to a year old, and i only have to get a new one soon.
 
I shoot these in ym 22s with next to no problems. I think out of maybe 2000 rounds fired through my nylon 66 and ruger mkIII i've had maybe 3 or 4 that stovepiped. Other than that, they're good! Plus, the copper plating is great for semis.
 
with 22s, you HAVE to find a brand that your pistol/rifle LIKES , and stick with that- be it dynapoints. federal bulk, wildcats , whatever- PRICE IS NO INDICATOR OF QUALITY-case in point i have a '51 beretta 948, and it's VERY fussy as to what ammo you feed it- i also have a beretta neos, which just plain doesn't care -and you're going to get the odd ftf, and "other things" like won't chamber( although that's a new one to me- must be an oversized case or something) -although i have had the very ODD one that you have to push on the charging handle to close it- what i do is do my first magazines, and put the duds to one side- 10, 25, whatever number of rounds- then reload the duds into the mag, and put them in such a way so that the firing pin strikes a DIFFERENT part of the rim- and most times it WILL fire- if it is still a dud, then into the dud bin it goes if i don't have another gun to try it in- every gun has a different set of strengths, and a stronger spring might get the job done- and i beleive that the priming mixture sometimes acquires a "dead spot" and won't fire if you just happen to hit that
 
I shoot these in ym 22s with next to no problems. I think out of maybe 2000 rounds fired through my nylon 66 and ruger mkIII i've had maybe 3 or 4 that stovepiped. Other than that, they're good! Plus, the copper plating is great for semis.

most of that is the gun- the nylon 66 has a reputation for digesting evern aquila junk ammo- i can't speak for the ruger
 
The 555's are great rounds. Same as the WW 333 only in a larger package. They performed better than the Federal 525 bulk pack stuff. I noticed they have a larger cavity on the HP. I used these this year on a gopher hunt and the results were fantastic. Not only is it reliable and accurate, the larger cavity makes a more audible 'THWAP' when it hits the furry little critter and more apparent damage. I have not fed thru a semi but thru the bolt actions it was great stuff. Then again, there are good/bad lots with any ammo so your mileage may vary...
dB
 
The 555s are actually the 333s in a larger bulk pac. I use them all the time and they go thru my many bolt and semis without a problem. Great ammo for gophers and do make the "thump" on impact. You can actually hear it. My Marlin 81s and 990L love them. The Mossys eat 'em up. I find trhem accurate and much cleaner in semis than many other brands. I shoot thousands of rounds each year and higher priced "accurate" ammo is out of my $ range for field shooting this amount.
 
I have found the Winchester 333/555s to work about as good as any HV plated .22 hollow point ammo, regardless of price. The more expensive stuff of the same type doesn't necessarily shoot any more accurately or do any more damage.

I find that the best accuracy results are nearly always with standard velocity in the .22LR. Hyper velocity is the worst, with most HV ammo falling somewhere in the middle.
 
Picked up a bunch of boxes, runs great in my 10/22, no failures , really clean.
Great value for my gun.
Too bad Le Baron is perma-soldout, would pick up a pile more at the price
 
I find it perfectly fine to fire. However, Federal bulk is better ammo IMO.

Rememebr to stay the hell away from Remington; the #### is horrid.
 
Back
Top Bottom