Winchester '92 circa 1908

wrimlah

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Manitoba
I have a Model 92 Winchester 44-40, 24" octagon barrel, full length mag tube. Looks to me like the barrel has 6 lands. There may be some pitting on the inside of the barrel but it looks to me like it may be some powder residue. I'm not sure what to say about the bluing. The receiver is grey. The mag tube looks mostly blue to me and the barrel, well I'm just not sure of, a mixture perhaps. The wood is a little banged up and there are a couple of cracks in the stock. The front sight is a blade and the top about 1/8 of an inch (3mm) of the blade looks to be brass. The rear sight is what my dad used to call a buckhorn but it might be a semi buckhorn. The rear sight is cracked and will no longer hold the small leaf of steel that is the v notch. I'm hoping that a good gunsmith could fix the rear sight, but I don't know any gunsmiths. I have the original parts. There is also a partial tang sight on the gum but the peep went missing. I know it is difficult without seeing the gun but could anybody give me an idea of what this gun might be worth?

Regards,
Wayne

P.S. I have a number of photos but I do not know how (or if I can) link them.
 
Not seeing the pics, I would guess around $600.00 based on the damage. If you want to replace your rear sight, I keep a small supply of original Winchester rear sights, and could possibly supply you with a replacement. The front sight sounds original. I did have a peep from a Lyman rear sight here, as well, but not sure if that is what you have. How bad are the stock cracks?
 
Thank you for your reply. It is appreciated.

I don't think the stock is in any danger of comming apart. There is one crack visable on the left side of the stock that extends from the butt plate for about two inches. the second crack is about 2 1\2 inches long. It is on the lower right side of the stock and starts about 5 or so inches in from the butt plate. I took a closser look at the tang sight. It is extremely difficult to see, but it is a Lyman. I don't see any model number on it though. Are there different models that would fit the '92? How much would you want for the peep and an original rear sight?

I have now run a dozen or so patchs treated with Hoppe's No.9 through the barrel and it looks to be cleaning up nicely. I'm still not sure if there is any pitting but I think it is looking promising.

Cheers
 
The cracks might just be dryness cracks, if so, thin some linseed oil with turpentine and soak the cracks with it. I have had good results with this treatment on several old rifles. Early 92's often have rough bores, due to early smokeless powders and corrosive priming. If you are lucky, it was only used with black powder and lead bullets, and will come out clean. I wouldn't charge you for a sight, just pay the postage, but we have to see what you have, first. Winchester made several styles of rear sights, flat top, buckhorn, etc. and each calibre had its own elevator, too. If we put on the wrong sight it might shoot two feet high, or low.
 
Sorry to take so long to reply. I appreciate the offer of the sight but I would prefer to pay you something for it. It would be nice to have this gun back in shooting order (especially if I should decide to put it up for sale). Good news on the barrel. There is still a ways to go but it is cleaning up nicely. I'm still not sure if it is free of pitting but if there is, it is minimal (if there is such a thing as minimal pitting). I haven't tried the linseed oil on the wood yet. Should I use raw or boiled? Thanks again for your help. How do we figure out what the propper sight is? Do I measure it somehow? Is there some way to get a picture to you? Please let me know.

Cheers,
Wayne
 
Hello wrimlah,

I will be glad to help you determine the originality and potential value of your standard sporting rifle. I happen to own 27 of them and I am conducting a research survey of the Model 1892 line and have personally looked at over 4500 rifles. You can send me the photos you have of the rifle and also include ones of all the stamped writing and the full serial number of the rifle. My email address is 2bitrifles@gmail.com You can read some about the effort at these links:
http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3460
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27559&p=343093&hilit=1892+survey#p343093
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?839722-Looking-for-Winchester-Model-1892-s

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom