Winchester 92 Tool - What Is It??

NorthCoastBigBore

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
If I was a betting man, and having had my share of old Winchesters with pitted chambers, I'd guess this is for inspecting the chamber and breech end of the barrel on a Winchester 1892. I guess it could be to inspect the entire bore, if you're illuminating on the mirror and looking down the muzzle? Just guessing here. That is a mirror in there; and the slot appears to be for the extractor cutout. I have some '94 and '86 bolts here but no '92 bolts to confirm that thought.

But I don't know. Anybody know??

It's not mine nor is it for sale, but any guesses on fair value are welcome. I'd suggest probably in the $100 ballpark myself just looking at the market for similar gunsmithing/reloading/misc. Winchester memorabilia.

9NSzRj7.jpg

zsDKKfQ.jpg

7WTvmT9.jpg

xPOHGJp.jpg

bvdghgV.jpg


Thanks folks

NCBB
 
I have one something similar and I think in part it is to direct outside light down the bore while you look down the muzzle. I suppose it would also let you examine the chamber area but I think primarily it is to illuminate the bore

cheers Mooncoon
 
Yes, it is a Winchester "1892" Bore Reflector, second variation. There were four different variations of the tool from what I have read, this second one was adapted to fit the smaller Model 1892. While the slightly larger first one would comfortably fit the Models 1873, 1876 and 1886, the inside width of the 92 was just too narrow. While this actual tool is marked "1892" it can also be used in most levers models, i.e on 1894s, 1886s, etc, etc. Just google Winchester 1892 Bore reflector and you'll see several that have sold, including a really scarce nickel plated one. Seen a few, never one nickel plated. A nice accessory for the Winchester collector. An excellent article on them in the Winchester Collector Magazine, Fall 2013 issue.
 
Last edited:
Yes, it is a Winchester "1892" Bore Reflector, second variation. There were four different variations of the tool from what I have read, this second one was adapted to fit the smaller Model 1892. While the slightly larger first one would comfortably fit the Models 1873, 1876 and 1886, the inside width of the 92 was just too narrow. While this actual tool is marked "1892" it can also be used in most levers models, i.e on 1894s, 1886s, etc, etc. Just google Winchester 1892 Bore reflector and you'll see several that have sold, including a really scarce nickel plated one. Seen a few, never one nickel plated. A nice accessory for the Winchester collector. An excellent article on them in the Winchester Collector Magazine, Fall 2013 issue.

Thanks for that. I've since found some info online as well - thanks for the tip on the article I'll see if I can find that.

Interesting tool for sure. This one is in excellent condition, the mirror is almost flawless.
 
Back
Top Bottom