Winchester 94, WCF 30 octagonal barrel seems to have slight bulge

Robert Nicholson

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Okanagan
I've been tinkering with an old Winchester model 94 in 30-30 with a 26'' octagonal barrel.
When I use a bronze brush, the brush is snug going into the crown and all the way down to about midway at which point
it falls about two inches and then is snug again all the way to the chamber. The bore is dark and pitted but shoots okay.
This gun is just a hobby as it has been badly damaged and home repaired in various ways. Serial number indicates 1899 Mfg.
Is this situation something I can just ignore or do I need to retire it as a wall hanger? What might have caused this?:confused:
 
Likely fired with a barrel obstruction/partial. If you wanted to have it re-bored to 38-55 you could but expensive.Harold
 
That sounds like a bulge to me. It only takes a few thousandths of an inch to qualify as a bulged barrel.

If it's shooting OK for your use then I would not sweat it.
 
Hello,

Another option instead of having it bore out to 38-55 would be to have the barrel relined and keep the 30-30 caliber. The ammunition is easier to find and cheaper.

Michael
 
Thank you for your input and suggestions. I am going to keep it the way it is and cherish it for what it is.
I put 11 rounds thru it two days ago doing the Standing Offhand Challenge (four practice rounds + seven for real)
and I am happy with this rifle.
 
Back
Top Bottom