Winchester 95

Ditto on the .30/40 Krag ID. The .30/06 ones are marked .30 Government 06 or .30 Government 03 for the earlier version. Pretty much a ballistic twin of the .303 British.
 
Ditto on the .30/40 Krag ID. The .30/06 ones are marked .30 Government 06 or .30 Government 03 for the earlier version. Pretty much a ballistic twin of the .303 British.

Mike,

The .30 Government 06 and .30 Government 03 are two different calibers. 30-06 and 30-03 respectively. The 30-03 was introduced in 1905, and replaced by the 30-06 three years later by the 30-06 (Those dates are based on George Madis' work, actual dates may be a bit different).
The differences in the two - from my understanding - is that the 03 used a heavier bullet (220 grain) and had a longer neck. And, I have read you can shoot an 06 in a .30-03 but you can't (shouldn't) shoot an 03 in a .30-06 ! Given the 30-03 was shorted lived, you don't see too many of them. See a lot of 303 British up here though.

Matt
 
I realize they are a slightly different case. I have never seen a 95 marked .30/03 or .30 Government 03, have you? The production numbers must be low. Could be the scarcest chambering in the 1895? The U.S. Army basically used the 220 Krag bullet in the 03 but I have read that they began noticing the performance of the new 8x57S in Germany with the spitzer bullet especially at long range.
 
I realize they are a slightly different case. I have never seen a 95 marked .30/03 or .30 Government 03, have you? The production numbers must be low. Could be the scarcest chambering in the 1895? The U.S. Army basically used the 220 Krag bullet in the 03 but I have read that they began noticing the performance of the new 8x57S in Germany with the spitzer bullet especially at long range.

Here you go, a 30-03 rifle, belonged to my brother, he also had a 30-03 SRC, just sold both to collector in Yukon :rolleyes:

1121330-03.jpg
 
I have seen several 30-03s and almost bought one here in Ontario a couple years ago, but they are relatively scarce. Their scarcity does not translate though into desireability. They seem to be the least sought after for 95 enthusiasts.
Matt
 
Must be like 1894 rifles in .32 Winchester Smokeless( .32 special). Pre 1920 they were probably outsold by the .30/30,.32/40, .38/55 and maybe even the .25/35 but they are the hardest to sell unless they happen to have a bunch of special order features.
Thanks for the photo, senior. Looks like a pretty clean 95. Do you know how much they went for?
 
Must be like 1894 rifles in .32 Winchester Smokeless( .32 special). Pre 1920 they were probably outsold by the .30/30,.32/40, .38/55 and maybe even the .25/35 but they are the hardest to sell unless they happen to have a bunch of special order features.
Thanks for the photo, senior. Looks like a pretty clean 95. Do you know how much they went for?

I won't say here.
They were sold for way to much.
The buyer was wealthy & could have cared less what the asking price was :rolleyes:
I never run across those guys when I sell!
 
Back
Top Bottom