Winchester Model 55 Lever Action Repeating Rifle

28 gauge

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Just wondering if there are any posters who have or use the Winchester Model 55 Repeating Rifle.The Model 55 was a version of the Model 94 rifle with the Model 64 version comming after the Model 55 was discontinued.

The Model 92 had two versions as well.The the Model 53 and after the Model 53 was discontinued the Model 65.

Of the four versions of the Model 94 and Model 92 the Model 55 is my favourite.

The Model 55 is the only Winchester Model that is rarer in the solid style than the take down style.
 
Model 55

28 Gauge,

I have one. It is a fun gun. I use it when I am pushing bush, as it is nice to carry when pushing heavy bush. Mine is from the area just South of Athabasca. A trapper brought it to the area.

Alberta Al
 
28 Gauge,

I have one. It is a fun gun. I use it when I am pushing bush, as it is nice to carry when pushing heavy bush. Mine is from the area just South of Athabasca. A trapper brought it to the area.

Alberta Al


Hello Alberta Al.Is your Model 55 a solid frame or a take down?What calibre is it.
 
The Model 55 is certainly a rare and desirable Winchester for any collection. It was the big brother of the Model 53. Both began production in the same year (1924) and both began with their own serial number range, and then both of them switched to the Model 92/94 serial range in 1927. The Model 53 is quite a bit rarer than the Model 55, but the Model 55 is rarer than the Model 64. A solid frame Model 55 has particular appeal to me. I do know that some research is being compiled on the Model 55 by a fellow who works closely with the Cody museum.
 
Model 55

Hey 28 Gauge,

My 55 is a takedown version in 30-30 WCF. It shoots the 170 grain soft points quite well. I had it apart today, it takes down and goes together slick as a whistle. Mine is all original.

Alberta Al
 
The Model 55 is certainly a rare and desirable Winchester for any collection. It was the big brother of the Model 53. Both began production in the same year (1924) and both began with their own serial number range, and then both of them switched to the Model 92/94 serial range in 1927. The Model 53 is quite a bit rarer than the Model 55, but the Model 55 is rarer than the Model 64. A solid frame Model 55 has particular appeal to me. I do know that some research is being compiled on the Model 55 by a fellow who works closely with the Cody museum.


Win 38-55 you would not happen to know the name of the guy researching the Model 55 and how to contact him?

Over the years I have seen four or five Model 53 rifles but only three Model 55 rifles.I wonder if even though there were less Model 53 rifles manufactured the Model 55 rifles saw more use and therefore less have survived?I would think that the calibres used in the Model 55 were more popular for hunting use given the time these models were introduced are therefore saw more use in the field.Just a thought.

Interesting that most of the Model 55 production was in take down style instead of solid frame as for all the other Winchester models of lever rifles.Wonder why that was?

Was just looking in the book The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1980.In the book they list 24,916 Model 53 rifles manufactured but only 20,580 Model 55 rifles manufactured .I had always thought that there were less Model 53 rifles manufactured than Model 55 rifles but this would indicate that the Model 55 is the rarer rifle.
 
Hey 28 Gauge,

My 55 is a takedown version in 30-30 WCF. It shoots the 170 grain soft points quite well. I had it apart today, it takes down and goes together slick as a whistle. Mine is all original.

Alberta Al


They are a nice rifle.They were also produced in .25-35 Winchester and .32 Winchester Special.

Was just looking at numbers manufactured for the Model 53 and Model 55.I had always thought there were more Model 55 rifles manufactured than Model 53 rifles.Seems I was wrong.In the book The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1980 it lists 24,916 Model 53 rifles produced while only 20,580 Model 55 rifles.It would seem that the Model 55 is the rarer rifle.

Do you use your Model 55 a lot?Do you have a favourite brand of ammunition and bullet style to use in the rifle?
 
Was just looking in the book The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1980.In the book they list 24,916 Model 53 rifles manufactured but only 20,580 Model 55 rifles manufactured .I had always thought that there were less Model 53 rifles manufactured than Model 55 rifles but this would indicate that the Model 55 is the rarer rifle.
The information in The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1980 is wildly off on the Model 53, probably thanks to George Madis' information on that rifle. The actual numbers look like they were somewhere between 13,000 and 15,000. Madis is the source for most of the info on the Model 53 out there, and when it comes to the Model 53, he is pretty much completely wrong, so much so, that it appears that he simply fabricated most of the information on the Model 53. He is also terribly off on some of his other models as well, so I would fully expect that his Model 55 numbers are completely wrong. On a related note, the actual Model 65 production seems to have been several thousand more than his numbers. I am primarily researching the Model 53, but am also working on the Model 65 and the late model 92's (serial numbers greater than 962,000). I am aiming to publish an article in the WACA journal sometime early 2011 on the Model 53. Winchester collectors will find it a real eye-opener. A major help in this research has been the polishing room records for the Models 53 and late model 92/65's. I also have a copy of the polishing room records for the Model 55 for those that were numbered within their own serial number range, as well as a database of surviving Model 55's. However, I do not have the freedom to pass on any information from those sources, so I cannot really say anything specific about what I'm seeing there. (although I can certainly give you the exact day your particular Model 55 (when you get one) was entered into the Polishing Room book.) The last two digits of the year your barrel was made will be stamped under the barrel. Same goes for the Models 53 and 65. We are especially eager to get barrel dates as a way to cross reference polishing room dates.

The fellow researching the Models 94, 55 and 64 is Bert. He is the one who is doing the research and will publish various articles on his findings, when it comes to the Model 55. If you join the Winchester Arms Collectors Association forum, (wwwwwwww.winchestercollector.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 )you can raise your Model 55 questions there and Bert will respond. Also, if you have any Model 55 or 64 data, he will be grateful for that information, so he can add it to his database.

In the meantime, if you have any information on Model 65's (serial number, caliber, type of steel used in barrel, sights, etc.), I would be very thankful for that info to add to my database on surviving Model 65's.
 
Model 55

Hey 28 Gauge,

It isn't my main hunting rifle, but I do use it periodically. My 55 has shot deer and bears in my hand. The trapper that owned it before me shot just about everything what can be hunting in Northern Alberta with it.

My Ruger is my main rifle.

For ammo, I use Winchester 170 grain factory ammo. My 55 likes it.

Cheers,

Alberta Al
 
Alberta Al, I would be grateful if you would pm me with the serial number of your rifle, and a short description (caliber, TD, etc.), for Bert's database. In return, I can tell you the polishing room date of your 55.
 
The information in The History of Winchester Firearms 1866-1980 is wildly off on the Model 53, probably thanks to George Madis' information on that rifle. The actual numbers look like they were somewhere between 13,000 and 15,000. Madis is the source for most of the info on the Model 53 out there, and when it comes to the Model 53, he is pretty much completely wrong, so much so, that it appears that he simply fabricated most of the information on the Model 53. He is also terribly off on some of his other models as well, so I would fully expect that his Model 55 numbers are completely wrong. On a related note, the actual Model 65 production seems to have been several thousand more than his numbers. I am primarily researching the Model 53, but am also working on the Model 65 and the late model 92's (serial numbers greater than 962,000). I am aiming to publish an article in the WACA journal sometime early 2011 on the Model 53. Winchester collectors will find it a real eye-opener. A major help in this research has been the polishing room records for the Models 53 and late model 92/65's. I also have a copy of the polishing room records for the Model 55 for those that were numbered within their own serial number range, as well as a database of surviving Model 55's. However, I do not have the freedom to pass on any information from those sources, so I cannot really say anything specific about what I'm seeing there. (although I can certainly give you the exact day your particular Model 55 (when you get one) was entered into the Polishing Room book.) The last two digits of the year your barrel was made will be stamped under the barrel. Same goes for the Models 53 and 65. We are especially eager to get barrel dates as a way to cross reference polishing room dates.

The fellow researching the Models 94, 55 and 64 is Bert. He is the one who is doing the research and will publish various articles on his findings, when it comes to the Model 55. If you join the Winchester Arms Collectors Association forum, (wwwwwwww.winchestercollector.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 )you can raise your Model 55 questions there and Bert will respond. Also, if you have any Model 55 or 64 data, he will be grateful for that information, so he can add it to his database.

In the meantime, if you have any information on Model 65's (serial number, caliber, type of steel used in barrel, sights, etc.), I would be very thankful for that info to add to my database on surviving Model 65's.

I use to belong to the W.A.C.A.,of course that was back in the pre computer days.Wrote a couple of articles that they published in "The Winchester Collector" as well.Of late years I have been out of the Winchesters for the most part and into 28 gauge shotguns.Still have a few of my favourite Winchesters including a Model 55 though.


I commend you at the very highest in your efforts to get to the truth on the numbers and hope you can achieve your goal.It has been most interesting talking to you about the Model 53,55,64 and 65 Winchester rifles.



In the past I owned a Winchester Model 64 .32 Spec.Also a friend of mine has a Winchester Model 64 Deer Rifle that he received from his Father who purchased the rifle new.His Father always referred to the rifle as a flat top 64 because the rear sight was flat across the top.

As to the Model 65, I have ever only seen one of them.Just forget what calibre it was but the next time I am talking to the guy who owns it I will ask him.

You probably already know this but back a number of years ago(probably early 90s) there were two articles published by the same guy in the W.A.C.A. magazine,"The Winchester Collector" about the Model 55.

If you like I could probably dig around and find them and send a photo copy to you if you were interested.
 
Hey 28 Gauge,

It isn't my main hunting rifle, but I do use it periodically. My 55 has shot deer and bears in my hand. The trapper that owned it before me shot just about everything what can be hunting in Northern Alberta with it.

My Ruger is my main rifle.

For ammo, I use Winchester 170 grain factory ammo. My 55 likes it.

Cheers,

Alberta Al

My favourite cartridge to use in my .30-30 Winchesters is the Super-X 170 grain Silvertip.Did however win a shooting contest one time many years ago using Remington 170 grain Core Lokt cartridges.Must have been very distasteful to the Winchester Model 94 I was using.LOL

Do you perfer the Silvertip or the Power Point?
 
I have and use a 30-30 take down M-55. It is a great bush gun and loves the 170grs. Still a nice tight gun and tight groups.


Nice to hear from another Model 55 user/owner.Do you have a certain brand of cartridge or bullet type that you perfer to use in your .30-30 Winchester Model 55?

Have you owned your Model 55 for a long time?
 
win 55

Hey 28 Gauge,

Power Points, for a while now. I've shot silver tips through it, and it liked them too. It likes the power points. I might take it out this spring for a bear stalk up North.

Cheers,

Alberta Al
 
Hey 28 Gauge,

Power Points, for a while now. I've shot silver tips through it, and it liked them too. It likes the power points. I might take it out this spring for a bear stalk up North.

Cheers,

Alberta Al

Sounds like that would be a good trip.If you do be sure to let us know how the .30-30 Model 55 performs.

All this Model 55 talk has me thinking I should take my Modell 55 to the range for shoot one of these days.Had the old rifle in my hands last night for the first time in quite sometime.Gave the old girl a nice rub with Stag Gun Oil.LOL
 
Back
Top Bottom