Winchester model 92 stuck

machelis

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
10   0   1
I just inherited a model 1892 circa 1910 but the action is stuck open. I've used the action before (just to test it to see if it worked) but now it's stuck open. I have a tear-down diagram, but can't pinpoint what could be causing it. Any lever action fellows know what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance.
 
I just inherited a model 1892 circa 1910 but the action is stuck open. I've used the action before (just to test it to see if it worked) but now it's stuck open. I have a tear-down diagram, but can't pinpoint what could be causing it. Any lever action fellows know what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Cartrige/something under the carrier?
 
The first thing is to check all the screws, tighten if needed. If it is loaded, it could be that the OAL of the cartridge is too short, known as, letting in two. To correct that problem, take out the mag spring and follower and dump the bullets out, then check the OAL of the cartridges.
 
All the screws are in the original position. I haven't touched any of them. Either way, I got the action free again, but after every ten of so cycles it jams again. I'll need to tear it apart and check all internals for wear. Thanks captonion.
 
The first thing is to check all the screws, tighten if needed. If it is loaded, it could be that the OAL of the cartridge is too short, known as, letting in two. To correct that problem, take out the mag spring and follower and dump the bullets out, then check the OAL of the cartridges.

Probably hasn't been shot in over 50 years. It's had a real hard life. If I ever reload for one of my levers I'll remember that. Thanks dude.
 
yw......My bet is it is a guide screw. They are a biach to tighten, as they go from inside the action outward. I had three bent srewdrivers just for that purpose.Who knows where they are now?
 
It`s a John Moses Himself Browning design, meaning that it has `way too many parts, all of them made on a shaper. It MUST have sufficient lubrication, especially after all these years of crud, crap and rust building up inside it.

Best thing is to take it to someone who knows these creatures inside-out and have it given a complete strip-down, cleaning and reassembly.
.
 
I'd like to respectfully disagree sir, have you seen John D. Pedersen's guns? He makes Browning look like the master of simplicity :D

Ugh. I had a fellow bring me a Model 14 last month, a guy stripped it all to pieces, couldn't get it back together, and gave the rifle away in a box. :( Took all night getting the bloody thing back together, I couldn't even find an exploded diagram. I think Pedersen was a direct descendant of Rube Goldberg.

On the 1892, I'm pretty sure the cartridge guide screws go in from the outside, but I may be wrong. Been a long time since I tore one down. Just a minute, I'll go look. :confused:
 
Okay, I was right. The cartridge guide screws can be tightened from the outside. Check two things. When the action is open, you will see two screws on the left hand locking bolt, on the side. Check them. Next, look in the forward curve of the lever, in front of the trigger. There is a spring loaded stud in the lever, that holds the lever closed when the action is shut. If the little cross pin is sticking out to one side, it will jam the rifle. If these things are okay, we'll check elsewhere. :)
 
No gunk or rust anywhere but in the barrel (which is now quite gone as well) so the only thing wrong with parts inside the reciever would be wear and tear. Are there still parts around for replacement if I need? What about Rossi parts?
 
Back
Top Bottom