Winchester model 97 tale and question on black powder

griaguns

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Ok.I had planned on going to the Duncan gunshow last Sunday but by the time I finished some of the honey-do list it was after 10:00 and by the time I got there it was almost 11:30.I didnt figure I would find anything of any interest at this late of the day but there it was,a winchester mod.97 take-down, 30" barrel and un-messed with.
Bluing (what Bluing) but it was all there with good wood and tight action.I paid my money ($300.00) and left with a smile and a questioning wife(what do want that for) "I didnt have one",(best answer I could come up with).
Its amazing what you find at these shows.
I would have thought that with the popularity of Cowboy Action that stuff like this would be sucked up immediately ,but this one just sat.
I have had a couple of 97s in my years but havnt seen one for sale for quite a while.
My question is. It was made in 1906 would it have been designed for brass casings and what happens if you shoot plastic casings.Thanks.Graham
 
win 97

had one a while ago and took it to the range to try it out. shot two boxes of light load shells with no problems. only problem is i couldn't hit ****. shot about 40%. you should be able to do better.
 
I am virtually positive that I have shot modern plastic 2 3/4 shells from one that I used to have. Am positive that I did not shoot brass shells. There is a good chance you have a 2 5/8 chamber so I would not shoot 2 3/4" paper shells in it

cheers mooncoon
 
I have a '97 , and shoot plastic shells no problem, just some clubs don't like you shooting black powder , nudge nudge wink wink, like the PF&G club

Cheers nessy
 
My pre 1945 '97 12ga TD survived almost twenty years of the heaviest 2 3/4" waterfowl hunting loads I could find.
A fellow I lent it to accidently fired a 3" mag in it too.

I just recently picked up an old '97 in 16ga from a fellow CGN, and it is resting beside the 12ga in the safe.
 
Back
Top Bottom