"Winchesters" made by Miroku?

k_h

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone:

I'm starting to get back into shooting....

I've been thinking about a lever action Winchester in a pistol caliber. From what I read the newer ones are made by Miroku. What do people think of them? I particularly like the idea of shooting 357 and eventually getting into cowboy action shooting.

Thanks!
 
Thank you for the replies.

I'm partial to the 1873, even if the 1892 is the 'improved' version.
 
I owned a 1892 357mag version and it beats the North American and Italian made ones in quality IMO. The Japanese build fantastic guns and I would not shy away from own one again.
 
Excellent quality here's my miroku 73 Winchester sporter in the middle

20160131_153014_zpsyq8sknmx.jpg
 
The Japanese have been manufacturing very high quality firearms, for years. The Miroku-made Winchester rifles are no exception. In my view, the Miroku/Winchester 1873 rifle is an excellent, well built and durable rifle. Certainly capable of taking on the rigours of Cowboy Action competition. Likewise, the Miroku/Winchester 1892 rifle. This opinion is based on a fair bit of competitive shooting experience with both of these rifles. If you wish to get involved in Cowboy Action shooting in the future, you could not go wrong with a Miroku/Winchester 1873 rifle, in .357. Very slick and competition-ready, right out of the box. Aftermarket parts are becoming more widely available to make these rifles run even faster and capable of competing at a very high level. Not a site sponsor but, Pioneer Gun Works lists a variety of aftermarket parts and upgrades for the Winchester rifles, specifically geared toward Cowboy Action shooting.
 
Miroku makes Winchester and Browning gun barrels. Excellent quality.

I have purchased a Winchester lever in 44 magnum and its fit and finish is excellent. The cycling of the action is a lot smoother than the Chiappa or Pedersoli.
 
Thank you for the comments and suggestions below!
The Japanese have been manufacturing very high quality firearms, for years. The Miroku-made Winchester rifles are no exception. In my view, the Miroku/Winchester 1873 rifle is an excellent, well built and durable rifle. Certainly capable of taking on the rigours of Cowboy Action competition. Likewise, the Miroku/Winchester 1892 rifle. This opinion is based on a fair bit of competitive shooting experience with both of these rifles. If you wish to get involved in Cowboy Action shooting in the future, you could not go wrong with a Miroku/Winchester 1873 rifle, in .357. Very slick and competition-ready, right out of the box. Aftermarket parts are becoming more widely available to make these rifles run even faster and capable of competing at a very high level. Not a site sponsor but, Pioneer Gun Works lists a variety of aftermarket parts and upgrades for the Winchester rifles, specifically geared toward Cowboy Action shooting.
 
plinker 777...to answer your question. The new Winchesters are marked Miroku-Made in Japan, on the right side of the barrel, below the rear sight. On the opposite side (left): Winchester. Plus caliber markings.
 
They are in my opinion the finest mass produced rifles available today.

You can't go wrong with one and the fit and finish is superb. The only issue I have encountered is finding the one you want at times. They are expensive but as with anything these days you get what you pay for.
 
And an update.

Came across an 1873 20" short rifle in 357, case hardened finish.

Now if I could just post pictures, I'd show you what it looks like.... but I guess you can just go to the Winchester website.

Cheers, and thanks for all the comments.
 
Here we go!

Looks kinda like this:


original.img.jpg


I'm awestruck by the ergonomics of this 143 year old design. The balance is great, it comes to the shoulder naturally, etc etc.

All this in an era without CAD, without focus groups, without design by committee.

Undoubtedly Winchester had learned a lot from its earlier models- and it shows in this one.
 
Back
Top Bottom