Wondering

LomondK

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Location
Edmonton Ab.
If a british pistol made in sometime in the 1880's and marked .38/200 would pass as an antique or would that be deemed a .38 S&W?
Wikipedia says that the .38/200 was a modified .38 s&w and this is what got me questioning? obviously "well wikipedia said so" isn't good enough for the gun techs just thought I'd ask people who know better

thanks
 
you would have to establish that the gun will not chamber and safely shoot a 38 S&W. This could be that the chambers had a shoulder which forced you to use a shorter shell or that the cylinder was too short for a factory 38 S&W

cheers mooncoon
 
I know 380british is alright as it takes cut down 38special brass and a .375 heeled bullet
 
I was going on information from a seller on gunbroker, but I looked at the pics again and it isn't marked and he since edited the auction to state as much, so hopefully it is the 380 british
we shall see i guess
 
PM me the auction number if you like, and I'll have a look. Some sellers on gunbroken like to put up "antiques" that aren't, then offer to ship internationally. Some of that may be ignorance, some may be worse. I've had some mixed experiences there, and at Canadian auctions where the seller simply didn't know what they were talking about.
 
I had a fella try to tell me that .380 was the same as 38 S&W one time...

I have a revolver chambered in .380R that WILL NOT chamber factory 38S&W rounds.
The brass however can be used.

.380 Revolver is not the same as 38S&W,38/200,and 38 Colt New Police which are all different versions of the same cartridge.

the 38/200 simply being a 200gr loading adopted and renamed by the Brits for military service.
 
Back
Top Bottom