Wood protection!

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
No you sick buggars, not that wood....

I have several old US Civil War era antique firearms.

To help prevent future shrinkage and cracking, what is the best option for a protectant?

With the old Brits I will hit them with some hand rubber BLO from time to time but I am not sure if this correct for US martial guns as well.

Obviously I am looking for something that also preserves value vice destroys it!
 
An expert will chime in shortly correcting me, but I believe American's used tung oil during that time period (Military)...please await verification before applying though. Wax was also popular for personal arms for centuries. It depended on what was readily available, what worked, and what was cheap. (Beeswax)
 
prevent future shrinkage and cracking

Scotts Liquid Gold

If the wood is dry, it will suck up like a dry sponge. (all natural)

BLO or what ever your choice can be applied over top once the dry wood is restored.

I learned this trick from an antique wood (furniture) restoration specialist.

I have an extensive list of antique British, French and U.S. Civil war arms that I have used this on.

I shoot them all, so I don't want any damage to the wood.

It has even reversed some shrinkage.
 
Last edited:
Scott's Liquid Gold - there's a name I haven't seen in years. Not since I watched too much daytime TV as a kid.

The argument should be what are you putting into the wood, oil or moisture? The old timers only had beeswax and animal fat for rust proofing. I'd be worried about introducing too much oil and irreversably soaking the wood.
 
I buy it just around the corner from me at Home Hardware.

Canadian Tire, some Walmarts and Home Depots.

Just enough introduced to the wood, not soaked in it.
 
Last edited:
In my opinion, the best option would be to prevent any potential damage without adding anything that can't be easily removed. Beeswax is great for this; heat it until it's a mushy paste, and apply by hand, let cool, wipe and polish, then repeat. Lee Valley also sells a beeswax polish (the one without petroleum distillates, for cutting boards) that is a bit easier to work with.

My feeling is that in order to maintain collector value you want to maintain the original finish no matter how bad it is and enhance it, and beeswax does this quite well. I would avoid anything with petroleum products as well as anything that expands the wood or reverses shrinkage. I haven't tried Scott's Liquid Gold, so I can't speak to its effectiveness or long-term effects, but if the wood has stabilized over time you don't want to go messing with its moisture content as that could create problems down the road, as is the case with any antique wood where no change in its dimensions are acceptable. Antique tables have different requirements than firearms.

That being said, does anyone know what the makeup of Scott's Liquid Gold is?
 
Last edited:
I do know that Scotts Liquid Gold is all organic with no waxes or silicone additives.

I have been using it for a long, long time with no ill effects.

Wood is not soaked in it, just used lightly.

Hey, buy some and try it out on what ever and see how it works, that's what I did.

It does not hurt original finish, it will clean the grime out of the wood and believe me, it does a good job.

Antique tables have different requirements than firearms.

The fellow that I learned this from was a preservation specialist for the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C.

He is also into firearms preservation.

I met him years ago at Camp Perry, Ohio during the Long Range Matches.

I use Ballistol for wiping down my antiques and such for every day cleaning.

Ballistol is also organic and does not hurt the wood.
 
Last edited:
i don't know fire arms a hole lot but i do know wood...oil is the way, it penetrates it and goes beyond the service...scotts gold is your best bet like every one else has said...but like all wood the climate is also your enemy, keep it warm and dry, humidity will warp it.
 
Back
Top Bottom