Worth reloading 9mm ammo?

Bakercakes

Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm definitely a noob when it comes to the concept of 'reloading' so if someone could explain to me how it works and how much $$$ you can save that would be great.
First of all I shoot 9mm, (is it even worth reloading 9mm ammunition?) its pretty cheap at the store so would I even be saving anything in the long run?
Thanks in advance guys, I'm learning quite a bit here. :)
 
yes reloading is worth it if you plan to shoot a few rounds!! 9mm is around $30- $40 tax in per 100 it costs around $18 per 100 reloaded with fmj or cheaper with just lead.
 
It may take a few years, but in the long run, you do save quite a bit of cash. A decent reloading set up will probably cost you around $500-600. It seems like a lot, but when you add up the savings over time its really worth it. Also, over time you can develop custom loads for each firearm to maximize accuracy and reliability.
 
Ok, I'm definitely a noob when it comes to the concept of 'reloading' so if someone could explain to me how it works and how much $$$ you can save that would be great.
First of all I shoot 9mm, (is it even worth reloading 9mm ammunition?) its pretty cheap at the store so would I even be saving anything in the long run?
Thanks in advance guys, I'm learning quite a bit here. :)
Unless a person has the IQ of a goldfish (or a Liberal), reloading is the way to go (Unless you are fabulously wealthy).....As to how much you can save, this website stands out
Handloads>com and check out the "Handloading Costs calculator" at the right hand side....
 
The side question to, "is reloading economicly smart?", is, "Am I prepared to accept what ammo is available, at the price and quantities of the day?"

I confess to having overspent on my reloading setup, but I don't intend to quit shooting anytime soon. I confess to hoarding components. When I find something that works, I tend to load up. Because I tend to buy in bulk, I tend to get good deals.

YMMV
 
Yes, good press (which will last lifetime+ and retain it's value very well) and books, accessories, scale, etc will run $600+.
My reloading paid for it and I started saving 6 months in...
 
It is definitely worth reloading. There is satisfaction gained in shooting your own loads that you have taken time to taylor to your specific gun. You learn a lot about ammo too.
 
Ok, well everyone seems to be speaking quite highly of reloading your ammo. Where could I find the equipment needed to start reloading?

Look up.... look right....look left. (all those colorful boxes at the top of this page) There are tons of suppliers, Where do you live would be a start.
 
Bakercakes - most shooting stores have reloading equipment. Most of the mail-order ones like Wholesale Sports will mail the stuff to you.

There's no reason to pay a fortune. $300 will get you a basic kit from most retailers, plus a set of dies, plus a reloading manual (critical!), plus a couple of perfectly good ammo blocks. You can spend $3,000 faster than Oprah can say, "cheesecake?" but it's more a question of speed of production than quality.

A realistic figure is that you can save one-half the cost over factory ammo. Reuse your brass and that starts adding up. Perhaps as low as 500 rounds and you're at the break-even point.
 
Reloading is super boring - you can do around 300 rds an hour ( we use a dillon 550)depending how much the process bores you down. If you don't have anything else to do, go for it.

you probably only save 60 bucks in reloading per 1000 rounds, instead of buying remanufactured ammo such as Wolf.

You have to ask yourself whether your free time is worth 60 bucks staring at that press......and cranking the lever 1000 times.

I reload because 9mm is always in and out - there is never a time ammo is always in stock.
 
Reloading is super boring - you can do around 300 rds an hour ( we use a dillon 550)depending how much the process bores you down. If you don't have anything else to do, go for it.

you probably only save 60 bucks in reloading per 1000 rounds, instead of buying remanufactured ammo such as Wolf.

You have to ask yourself whether your free time is worth 60 bucks staring at that press......and cranking the lever 1000 times.

I reload because 9mm is always in and out - there is never a time ammo is always in stock.
Only 300 rds per hour?.....Slacker....(Cough):p....
 
Back
Top Bottom