Would it be a crime?

HeadDamage

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Location
Calgary
Would it be a crime (morally) to up grade a Webley MKII to a MKII** by using a Mark V or Mark VI as a parts donor? Which is worse, taking the new revolver out of action or adulterating the antique one? I ask because I was playing meccano with a MKII and a MKVI and realized how simple it would be to up grade the MKII with the barrel and cylinder from the MKVI. I'm having bad thoughts ;)
 
An unaltered MkII is most likely harder to find than a MkII**. Also you would not be able to mark it properly so it would come across as a bitser. A matching MkII would be worth considerably more than the frankenstein you would create. Also you can't just swap the cylinders. The new cylinder has to be timed to the frame. On a webley this is a chamber by chamber exercise. If you don't know what you're doing you will be searching for some expensive and hard to find replacement parts. I see the potential to turn a $500 revolver in to a $100 revolver and ruin a desirable historical piece in the process.
 
Don't worry, not going to do it. Both guns are too nice to mess with. Though I do need to fix the MKII, it the cylinder freely rotates in one direction and does not seem to engage the cylinder stop thing that stops this.
 
I was kinda wondering the same question as the OP, but I dont know which part of the frame is restricted on the Mk VI, upper or lower? My MK VI has serial numbers on the lower frame, scratched out, and redone on the upper frame, plus the cylinder, hammer and just about everywhere else. And I'm not so sure about the unadultered mk 2 versus the mk 2**. Both are rare, but I'd say the upgraded mk 2** version more so. They certainly seem to fetch a higher price on the EE anyway. The antique mks I** and II** are worth 3000+ in good condition, the restricted mks IV to VI only $400-600. Do the math. However, the serial #'s wont match, as someone said, so that'll affect the value.
 
If you want to do it and it's a Meccano thing; then take it for a spin, why not?
It's not like it's going to be a permanent change. If it makes it safer to shoot and it requires no permanent alterations, go for it.
Guns are meant to be shot, not locked in a shadow box.
As far as the value; if you can't use it like you want to...what's the point?
If I buy a muscle car, expect tire and clutch smoke, high rpm shifts. If this involves a new carb or a bigger engine...it's happening.
If I buy a pistol I'm going to use it. If this involves a different bbl or cyl...it's happening.
Use it like you want to.
 
I put it together and the nub in the middle of the extractor is longer on the mkVI and needs a recess milled in the mkII frame to allow the action to close up. Other than that and one screw hole in that would need adding to the mkII frame it would work but I don't want to do any machining to either gun so that is a no go.
 
oh right. I forgot that they altered the frame to make the MK 1** and 2** accept the newer cylinders. however, if you already have a mk 2** or 1** in 45acp you can easily swap the 455 cylinder from a mk 5 or 6.
 
Back
Top Bottom