Wounded deer woes

Easyrider

Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, folks. We Manitobans are halfway through muzzle loading deer season, and i have taken up arms for the first in a number of years. I have immensely enjoyed my time in the bush, and can't for the life of me remember why I quit. I really enjoyed banging away with my Lyman Great Plains .50 call practicing and sighting in prior to the season opener. I was really pleased with my practice scores, especially in light of how thick my glasses have become. I have an old Lyman tang sight on the .50, and it works remarkably well with glasses on.
That's it for the good news. A couple of days ago, I shot a decent 4X4 buck @ 38 yards with a patched roundball, and 90 grains of powder. He dropped like a stone, kicking up all kinds of dirt, and thrashing like mad for 30 seconds or so. Then he got up and ran away! Crap! There was some blood, not a lot, where he was rolling around, but it quickly stopped after he got up. He disappeared, and with no snow, I lost the trail after a couple of hundred yards. There have been no ravens or magpies in the area, so I assume he survived.
This isn't the first time I have had deer escape with a round ball in them. Years ago, I had 2 others run off, but the ravens eventually led me to them the next day. Part of the problem appears to be the lack of blood loss, making trailing very difficult in the absence of snow. Round balls leave a very small entry wound, like most bullets, and either no exit wound, or a similarly small one. The ball doesn't expand, or have the energy to blow out a big exit wound. The ball passes through, and the elasticity of the skin closes the wound like an arsehole (sorry about the metaphore) shutting off any further external blood loss. Also, the ball doesn't have sufficient muzzle energy to cause massive instant trauma, so internal hemorrhage is the only likely cause of death. It is pretty lethal, but not instant, and hard to track.
Sooooo, my question for the communal knowledge is this; does a conical bullet have enough extra stopping power to justify the expense of re-tooling? A logical alternative rifle might be a Great Plains Hunter, with a more rapid rate of twist. Another possibility might be re-barrel. As mentioned, I am pretty damn fond of my rifle, happy with how it shoots, but I can't keep wounding deer. I am sure lots of you have experience with both, so please share your knowledge. OBTW, I am thinking of something like Buffalo Bullets, rather than sabots. I'm a bit of a traditionalist....I'm sure most of you understand.
 
I think you will find that a mini or maxi does not change things much with deer. On broadside shots I think both will go right through. You might want to check the hardness of the lead in the balls you are shooting, could be they are not pure lead. On the other hand if they are swaged and have not sprue spot on them, they probably are pure lead

cheers mooncoon
 
I have hunted with a muzzleloader for over 25 years and have filled my tag every year, most of those were with a .495 round ball. Shot placement is the key. If a Deer has a 1/2" hole through it's lungs it may travel about a 100 yards before bleeding out. I have some recovered round balls that were flattened right out and dropped the deer on the spot, but those shots went through a shoulder before going through the lungs. I have also taked deer with Maxi bullets, the deer still ran the 100 yards but there was a better blood trail. This year I shot a big doe at about 30 yards with a 250g SST bullet in a sabot. The bullet went through the upper part of the shoulder, through the lungs and the off side rib, and she still went 125 yards. The best bang flops occur from a bullet that will expand, put through the shoulders.
 
Tagged for interest. I'll assume that a PRB spins like a football rather than tumbling...has anyone tried to "hollow point" the RB? perhaps cross cut the top half of a ball to aid in expansion? I'm very surprised to hear the .50 ball passes straight through with little to no expansion unless major bone structure is hit!?
 
Not sure if it's legal in Manitoba, but a dog trained to blood trail IS WORTH it's weight in venison!

Sorry to hear you lost that deer.

Cheers
Jay
 
Before I reloaded, I shot a reclining Buck 6 times with that crap factory Winchester ammo through my 38-55. And thats with 250 grain jacketed SP.
One round actually went through the neck without contacting spinal column, windpipe or jugular vein. Just no hydrostatic shockwave there.
No ruined meat... but christ!
On the other hand hit a nice big bone...like swatting the deer with the hand of god
So...no help or advice other than perhaps going to a .58 cal.
 
My deer killing experience includes a few more than a dozen with PRB's and 6 or 7 times as many with my 270. Overall reactions to bullet impact have not differed too much as some drop on impact, some stagger around then fall, some walk/run a few yards and drop and a small number will run a long distance then drop. One ran about 40 yards with the heart blown apart. I don't try fancy neck or head shots - I try for the heart and lung area, preferably broadside and standing still. I have shot 45, 50 and 54 cal PRB's from 30 yd out to about 110 yd and in every case the ball passed through the chest cavity but still left a minimal exit wound and little or no blood trail. Over the past decade I have seen 3 deer hit by a 54 cal PRB and react as you described: knocked flat on impact, thrashed around for several seconds then get up and walk/trot away before the shooter could reload. In all 3 cases they were hit high enough to just miss the top of the spine at the shoulder for a non-lethal hit. In one case I saw the deer walking and feeding normally 3 days later and seemingly on the way to recovering. I still have great confidence in PRB's for deer but as others stated, bullet placement is critical. I have been considering revamping my heart/lung area aimpoint with a spot a few inches forward (in line with the middle of the front leg and half way up) with the objective of still getting heart/lung damage but also breaking some shoulder bones to reduce the probability of the deer traveling very far. I would not give up on your PRB's based on one unfortunate incident. Good luck.
 
Sorry to hear about your problems. Something sounds amiss, but if my experience is any indicator, the prb is not the problem. I've shot at least 30 dear over the years with prb's in .50's and .54's and never lost a one. Most recovered balls are flat and laying against the opposite hide. I always shoot thru the front shoulder when possible, but front-on shots thru the chest are just as lethal.

A center of mass shot thru the shoulder area will break bones and/or clip the heart-lungs. People are afraid of that shot because of the mess it makes with high velocity bullets, but prb does the job in a different way, and I've never lost any meat with them.

Hope this is of at least a little help and I really hope your luck improves.
 
Bullet failure can occur with any gun.

I gave up on my tack driver .270 as I was destroying entire front quarters with 140 gr Nosler Partitions, turning them into jelly. With a .308 and 150 gr PSPs, I hit a Mule Deer too far back when he bolted just as I fired and it took me over two hours to track him in knee deep snow and put him down.
A friend has punched bullet diameter holes through deer with his .280 using Barnes 'X' bullets that didn't expand.

The last deer and bears I've shot went down to one of my 50-70s using BP and 450 gr bullets. The only two moose I've shot fell to one of my 45-70s and 420 gr bullets.

Nothing walks away from a well paced chunk of lead and I'm willing to risk lead contamination by not eating up to the bullet hole.
 
I'm siding with the guys that say the ball was not the problem.

I've only shot one deer, a doe, with a 45 cal spaghetti caplock, she died pretty well, and the ball traveled through her diagonally from the hind ribs on one side out through the shoulder on the other.

Where were you aiming at. At that range, you should have had a pretty clear idea exactly where you were trying to hit the buck at. If you were above the vitals, but below the spine, you can get a pass through that does not do a bunch of damage, with a ball or an arrow. Not a lot of disruptive energy in a round ball to cause a bunch of upset, so placement is key.
My money is on aiming lower and farther back, I like the point of the 'elbow', or right behind that, and you have a real good shot through the lungs and liver. Aim where you think the elbow is on the other side of the deer, for angle shots.
Through the shoulders will usually smack them down pretty hard, but the can still get up and run. Reloading while watching them thrash out on the ground, is a good idea, IMO.

Cheers
Trev
 
I agree 100% with Vega regarding point of aim on the shoulder. PRB's don't destroy meat anywhere near like high power center-fire like a 270.
 
Obviously, I can't be sure where my shot hit him, but if I were forced to guess, I'd say it was high. I had overestimated the range by a bit, so that would seem logical. He was 38 yards, broadside, and standing still. There was very light wind, and light was adequate, so it was a pretty damn easy shot. I have tried to guess from the results, where I hit him. Knocked him right down hard, lots of kicking and thrashing, then run like Northern Dancer. Between the spine and the vitals is a definite possibility. I would have thought that would be lethal over time, but maybe not. I go back every day looking for ravens, but there are none. I guess I need more practice. At least that's fun, and cheaper than a new rifle.
 
Easyrider, having hunted both archery and BP with round ball 45 and 50 cal , you can and will lose game and I know how you feel , there is really only a couple things that can help and as has been mentioned SNOW and hungry magpies but that doesn,t always give you venison. Of course shot placement and range is all important but is not a guarntee. I have two good friends that hunt with the all new so wonderfull :rolleyes: inline and sabot pistol bullet, that they claim will kill deer to 300 yards, both got a rude awaking this year and and both got very luckey with the magpies. One has a wife that likes to walk and kept looking, one was a few days later and one more than a week. Both found heads ( nice 4x5 and 5x5) and ribcage only so not much venison. Coyotes were happy. These were both shot under a hundred yards . In the heavy willows along the river and blood just ran out or couldn,t be found. No way of telling for sure shot placement but both thought good solid rib cage hits. BP hunting is so much fun mostley because you can hunt when it is warm and nice (in sask anyway) but NO SNOW for tracking. Having hunted deer for 50 or so years now, I have seen some deer lost with solid hits from many calibers. One that bothers my wife to this day was a huge double drop tine WT she shot facing her at about 75 yds with a 25-06 , he went down like a tub of you know what. We patted each other on the back and started talking about the cost of a head mount, she unloaded her rifle, he got up staggered off though the bush , There was lots of fresh snow, so we waited a bit, Where he went down there was chunks of brisket fat, bone, gobs of blood and hair all over. We tracked that deer all the rest of that day round and round through the bush, just saw a flash once. he kept going better all the time. Gave up thought ok he will be dead in the morning. His bed was full of blood more fat, bone chips too. Tracked him the next day till there was too many deer tracks and no sign. In deer heavan now. The 25-06 is long gone, when she decided to hunt again it was a 270 Husky and 150 gr. just a silly little story to try to make you feel better. Ol flinter says through the shoulders maybe the best, Vega says: QUOTE if my experience is any indicator, the prb is not the problem. I've shot at least 30 dear over the years with prb's in .50's and .54's and never lost a one. Most recovered balls are flat and laying against the opposite hide. I always shoot thru the front shoulder when possible, but front-on shots thru the chest are just as lethal.------ I think good solid advice but not with an exploding hot 25-06 that penetrates about an inch or so. :( Take care all the best luck next time and don,t give up on the PRB,s and the front stuffer. Cheers
 
Last edited:
Tagged for interest. I'll assume that a PRB spins like a football rather than tumbling...has anyone tried to "hollow point" the RB? perhaps cross cut the top half of a ball to aid in expansion? I'm very surprised to hear the .50 ball passes straight through with little to no expansion unless major bone structure is hit!?

A lead ball flattens out, and are actually quite devastating. Drilling a hole in a sphere would only serve to lighten the projectile, and upset the balance which would destroy it's already limited ballistic as you could never ensure that you could dependably center the ball within the bore.
 
I lost a deer exactly the same way, very early in the season.

It did die, I found it 4 days after the fact.By then, with the September +20C temps, nothing was saveable.

I hate it when that happens.

I quit hunting with a muzzle loader completely for several years after that.

A good friend, persuaded me to buy some sabot wrapped 44 caliber, 240 grain hollow point bullets, made by Hornady. Those bullets expand very well, right out to 200 yards and the animals not only receive more shock but the exit wounds definitely are bigger and there is a good blood trail.

By the way, I shoot the same Lyman 50 cal Plains Rifle you do and the accuracy is very good.
 
Thanks, everyone, for taking an interest, and taking the time to offer support and advice. I did learn few things, or at least remember things that I had forgotten. The pure lead idea is an example. The balls I am using were likely cast sometime in the 1980's, and were very likely melted down wheel weights, not pure lead. I have a stash of old lead roof vent flashing from my plumber friend, which are pure lead. I'll cast some new hunting balls later today. Bearhunter, the sabots might end up being a solution, although I'm surprised to hear they shoot well out of a slow twist barrel. If they are that much more effective, we probably owe it to the deer to favor function over form, and go for the clean kill rather than traditionalism.
Another issue that emerged is shot placement. I stand by my shooting skills, for the most part. I shot pretty competitively at lots of rendezvous' back in the day, and I am pretty pleased with how my skills have survived two and a half decades of neglect. That said, they're not what they once were, and certainly eyesight plays a roll here. I am thinking about shopping for different sights, perhaps a Creedmore style Vernier rear sight,and a bead out front. My current rig is an old flip-up Lyman tang sight from a Savage 99, and a plain blade in front. I have noticed that a larger aperture, in a larger disc, improve the clarity for me. You will notice that I am not talking scope here. One has to draw the line somewhere.... The trade-off will be shorter range and more daylight, both of which are okay by me. After all, they already give us a muzzleloading seasonal hunt in. I believe we need to maintain some level of extra challenge in order to justify the right to hunt separately from the rifle shooters. If it turns out that I am not up to the challenge, I'll go back to punching spherical holes in paper. YMMV.
Once again, thanks for a lively discussion.
 
Back
Top Bottom