Wrong Patent Dates on 1894 Winchesters

Mike Webb

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
214   0   1
Location
Southern N.B.
Do any of you guys who are into old Winchesters(you know who you are) have any input on this? I read recently that a fair number of 1894 Winchesters between serial number 350,000 and 400,000 have the wrong patent date on the barrel. Instead of Aug.21,1894 it reads Aug.14,1894. I went home and looked at my Winchesters and I have one so marked, it is a half mag, shotgun butt saddle ring carbine serial 350,### that letters in this configuration. It is roll marked Aug.14,1894 on top of the barrel. From what I can learn it seems only round barrel rifles and carbines have been discovered with the wrong date. Do any of you have a 94 marked in this manner? Renneberg describes it in his book as rare. Some claim this is a die that was used for another model but I have no idea which one.
 
Mike,
I'm about where you are on this. I have not to date had one of these examples in my collection, nor seen one first hand. But, I have not been at this as long as many out there. From what I have read though, there cannot be a pile of them out there. I am familiar with the references you are making with respect to them only showing up on round barrels and carbines, and as well the possibility that this may have been a result of the use of a Model 1892 roll die, but I cannot add anything further to that. It would only be speculation. It does sounds quite plausible though.
Matt
P.S. Did you supply your SRC info to Paul?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Madis mentions the wrong dates in his big book as well. I think the 1892 die has different dates from the 94 as well. Seems at one time they used multi piece dies at Winchester because it was cheaper to replace a word or number in the die if it was broken instead of making and heat treating an entire die. I guess the wrong patent date might add a little to the value of a rifle to a collector. I will join the Winchester forum, I have been meaning to for a couple years anyway.
 
Back
Top Bottom