WTF is this loaded for????

I don't think that I am brave enough to try and fire that out of my gun! Good luck to you if you do try though lol.
 
Here's the head of the shell. I'll look up the maker and see if they are still around and can ID them.
Thanks for the comments, glad to see you guys also found this interesting!
Dan

frbc1.jpg
 
FRBC could also be the fisheries research board of Canada....

Can't imagine that the rounds would fly that fast.

If i had to guess these were re-loaded back into the shell by a researcher? can't find anything from eley that the produced them. My google-fu is weak today though.
 
I found this as I sorted through my dad's stuff. Anyone know what it is? Thanks, Dan
frbc.jpg

They are whale marking cartridges. FRBC = Fisheries Research Board of Canada

:popCorn:
Fisheries Research Board
Until the transfer of its staff to the Department of the Environment in 1973 and its demise in 1979, the FRB was the principal federal research organization working on aquatic science and fisheries. Many of Canada's eminent marine scientists were associated with the FRB, which descended from a board of management (1898) established to run a floating biological station on the Atlantic coast, to become the Biological Board of Canada in 1912. In 1908, permanent biological stations were opened at St Andrews, NB, and Nanaimo, BC, staffed by summer volunteers from universities. In the 1920s, the board hired full-time employees and opened laboratories concerned with the fishing industry and food processing. By 1937, when the Biological Board of Canada became the FRB, it had a distinguished record of marine biological and physical oceanographic research. After WWII the FRB opened new laboratories and expanded its work on physical oceanography, Pacific salmon, Atlantic fish stocks and eastern Arctic marine biology. With the opening of the BEDFORD INSTITUTE OF OCEANOGRAPHY, the expansion of the Department of Mines and Technical Surveys into oceanography, and the recommendations of the Glassco Commission (see GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATION, ROYAL COMMISSION ON) in the 1960s, the FRB, which was not affiliated with a department, became an administrative anomaly. Several federal government departments now conduct research originally done by the FRB.

See also FRESHWATER INSTITUTE.

Author ERIC L. MILLS

Suggested Reading
K. Johnstone, The Aquatic Explorers: A History of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada (1977).


The Canadian Encyclopedia © 2011 Historica-Dominion
<http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0002835>
 
thats way cooler than batteries or a stack of pennies. how heavy are they? metal or plastic harpoons.

They have a hollow tube with a lead head. I took them to the trap club and the guys really liked them.
The different numbers lend a clue to it being a tag (I think). Dad worked in wildlife and was also in fisheries towards the end of his career. He was in sportfishing so he wouldn't have ever had the opportunity to use this in the field. I would think he got these in an estate of a friend (he was often asked to accept items or disperse them in an estate).
Dan
 
Back
Top Bottom