WWII Era 7.62 X 54 Russian Rounds

Drachenblut

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Location
Smithers, B.C.
Hello all,

I recently purchased a set of 3 boxes of Yugoslavian sniper ammunition from the 80's. One of the boxes is a definite stand out.

Firstly, the box's top is written in Russian, though I cannot translate it all too well, it says something about possibly "sharp shooter special" ammo.

Secondly, I looked at the rounds themselves. The cases are all a dull copper colour. The bullets themselves are FMJ, but 5 of them have a gold coloured covering, the other 10 have the same deep red copper washing as the cases. The primers are sealed in red paint. The backs of the gold tipped rounds read "188" on top and "45" on the bottom. The copper washers are "17" or "188" over top of "45" with one round being the exact same, but listed as "183" and "46".

I will upload pictures when I can.
Yours,
Drachenblut
 
So it seems... I cannot find a single match anywhere, for any country, on 7.62X54R.net's Ammunition identification guide. I cannot find any matches at all. The pack is in a 15 cardboard box, there is no "Century Arms" import marks anywhere, just the original markings. Bullets are in prime condition.

I will try to upload some pictures here in a few moments.
 
188 is the Novosibirsk plant.

Was the box open? Given that the box is marked with a Yugo plant code (PPU) and powder type and plant code, I would assume the box is not a repack, but just a loose box.

PS I don't read Serbian, but it is likely reman ammo. The plant lot has a suffix (R), as does the powder.

PPS Yes, mostly confirmed. It seems Prvi reclaimed the Russian ammo and used new powder and primers.

attachment.php
 
The box was open when I got it, yes, (as in not sealed). PPS meaning what sir? The bullets don't seem to have been re-primed though, as the red paint seal doesn't seem to be altered. Anything else you can tell me of these rounds? I bought it in a lot of 3 packs, the other 2 boxes are 1985 dated Yugo surplus, imoorted by Century arms.
 
Reman ammo? Never heard of it.
Yes, various outlets sold tons of it recently. Prvi pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and primer, and reloaded to their spec. I assume because they had lots that either was of a different spec, ie the rifle/MG sights wouldn't adjust correctly, or was of dubious history/condition.
 
Well, I suppose I could shoot one and see if it's berdan or boxer primed? Why would PRVI go to such lengths to re-make old Russian ammo? They make thier own hunting stuff for the caliber, and I've shot it, decent enough stuff.
 
The English marked stuff is just regular x54 imported commercially by Century back before the war (80's).

They repacked because it was cheaper, and they had tons of it. Simple economics.

I can tell by the primer size that it is Berdan. The commercial will be non-corrosive, the other, likely corrosive.
 
Neat. Maybe I'll keep the other box for a rainy day, as I hate shooting corrosive in my SVT 40. But good to know the other commercial stuff is not corrosive. I tried to reload for the SVT and nothing worked. By the way, off topic CanAm, when are you guys getting in the Grizzly Shotguns? Any ideas?
 
Back
Top Bottom