Yukon Gold copressed sticks

Chumlee Bumsnag

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
BC
I got some of these APP Yukon Gold sticks and gave them a try in my .54 Lyman Trade Rifle. They say .50 on the jar but only measure .38. I dropped a 50 grain one in followed by a dry patch and ball. I earlier removed all traces of lube from my barrel as recommended. I only gave it a light tamping and let it rip.
FTF! Waited a minute and put another primer on. It went off like wet fart and the ball went about 30 feet.I loaded again and this one went off but with big delay. I managed a couple of more shots but the ignition delay made accuracy impossible. I finally had a ftf that wouldn't go. I pulled the ball and went home.
I cleaned my rifle at home and had to chip the unfired charge out with a brass jag. My ignition hole seemed to be a bit plugged. I'm going to try again with a new jar so I know it hasn't absorbed moisture.
Any thoughts?
 
Yukon Gold is meant for an inline rifle with shotgun primer ignition. Use real black powder in a traditional cap lock muzzle loader and you will not have problems with ignition.
Lots of chatter online suggests that among the black powder substitutes, Yukon Gold does not have a great reputation.
 
I read a lot of the same reviews but also saw that some people were using it with percussion cap and claiming it worked fine. I usually do use Goex FFG.
 
Lot of bull scrap on the internet from know nothings.
I consider Pyrodex a desperate last resort in a caplock.
Goex FFg is the right propellant.
 
Back
Top Bottom