"Zouave" help needed!

Phoenixmc

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
The Island, BC
I found someone who wants to sell a used muzzleloader but he didn't know what it was at first. He sent me some pics and I think I've narrowed it down to what it is.

It looks identical to a 1863 Zouave. However under the hammer it has the eagle stamped with "Navy Arms Co" under that. I've done a bunch of looking on the internet but can't 100% confirm that such a gun exists. I know Remington made a Zouave, EuroArms, Parker Hale as well I think and another Italian name, Zoli I think.

Can anyone confirm that Navy Arms made a Zouave with their name stamped on it? Any references to info would be greatly appreciated.

It's in alright shape that I can see, needs bluing redone. He's asking $450. From what I've found people have said they've bought them from $80 used all the way to $600ish new. I'd like to find some solid info before I start seriously looking at it.

Thanks.
 
Navy Arms didn t make the Zouave but rather imported it and marked it as their own.They normally shoot round ball better than minie bullet do tp their lack of progressive rifling.If you want the best minie gun then get a parker hale made in england as these have the progressive rifling
 
The Parker Hale made in England versions muskeetoon and the two band naval pattern both have progressive rifling (the rifling is deeper at the breech than the muzzle)I am not sure whether the 3 band does.
 
I find buying a used muzzleloader a little bit harder with just pics to go by as one has to
believe that the owner was very regimental in keeping the bore clean as black powder
is not very forgiving in this.The best judge of this is how the rest of the rifle was kept
up.The way you have described it with a new blue job needed (and of course not practical to have refinished unledd you do it your self) $200 at most.
 
I have had a few Zouaves over the years, some are Exc and some looked like H*LL.
I have 4 Parker-Hales three in 58 and one in 451. I like just about everything but the Zuaves were low on my list of Civil War Reproductions. Most of the CW Living History groups won't allow a Zuave in their ranks. I am told the Zuaves didn't see service in the CW like the Enfields and Springfields.
I also have the following in 58cal Armi-Sport 1853, Pederosoli 1863, and a reproduction Colt M1861 Special Contract Musket, with the Colt signature on the trigger guard. They go with my 69 cal Springfirld M1840 converted to percussion carbine, Uberti Henry (with single digit serial #), original CW Maynard carbine, and repo Sharps percussion carbine. And the original bayonets for them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom