First off I want to apologize for my late reply. I got some critical stuff going on at home and have to attend to it before I get going on my family gun. Hunting season looks to be blown for me to, haven't had a chance to look for land once and people I was hoping to go with can't wait for my matters to finish in which I don't blame them and I told them to go.
Now no offence to everyone, I quickly ran through the post. First thank you for the replies. I honestly appreciate them. I personally am scared to touch this shotgun right now. I don't know what it fires, I don't know if anything is loose ( hammers are strong, thing was cocked back and when I went to release it without firing it.... Damn near ripped my thumb off) I'm still a complete "noob" to hunting and shooting, so I want to learn how to care for this gun and better for my others. So I will be going to a gunsmith for that help. I will, when I get the time contact some of the gunsmiths that where mentioned here... I love family history and by cleaning it up I won't be shinning it down to new looks, I love the old patina it has but I won't to clean the rust up hopefully as one member said the old will do some of that.
No someone said that if I can tie it to military person, it would be worth value to a collector. F collectors, it's mine!! But with my digging before my family matters happened
http://thecanadasite.com/places/houses20b_rom_crystalb.html apparently some of his other guns and swords are at the Royal Ontario Museum!!!! Now I'm scared that someone will try to take this from me and it will be me from a cold set of hands as I'll fight like to ones business!! We have had a lot of our stuff stolen from a great aunts place due to a corrupted lawyer and it has ended up in a few museums from what I am told. Now I guess some members of my family went to the museums to discuss what had happen and it turned into a big mess... So on one hand I'm thinking a museum can help with with this gun and they other is they will steal it from me.
This gun and I even have a sword, will not be leaving my ownership!! If I have to hide it and did it up just to admire it.. I will. But I would like to get it and the sword in a nice case and then hang on the wall behind it a animal skin with my family crest on it. Then hopefully get some family history out in a binder with laminate pages to go beside them. I would like to shoot it, maybe if it can happen get a turkey with a band on it just to add to my history to it... Pathetic history I know but it's mine....
Again, I really appreciate they help EVERYONE and hopefully they next reply will be the result of some of your help and maybe a video or picture of me using it...maybe on a hunt lol
Thanks again,
Steve