BP shotshell... FF or FFF?

I use goex ffg myself, {have also used pyrodex, I believe its a 2f equivalent} works great, much fun, I just punch out cardboard cards with a punch in 12g and 410, how many grains do you load, I typically go 75 for 12g and 35 for 410
 
Acoustic ceiling tile cut and soaked in wax works great for taking up shell space. Many clubs won't let you shoot Black with plastic wads. Also, use FFg or Fg for powder.
 
I normally use FFG but have also used FFFG, I cut the powder charge down a bit though.
I load my 12 bore with anything from 2 1/2drams right up to 3 drams and #6 copper or 7 1/2 Nickle or #2 Bismuth depending on if I am shooting chukkers and ruffies or geese and ducks over the decoys.
I typically use brass cases but load lots of paper as well - roll crimp the papers and glued in overshot wads fr the brass.
I use 2- 2 1/2 drams in my 16.
Cat
 
Acoustic ceiling tile cut and soaked in wax works great for taking up shell space. Many clubs won't let you shoot Black with plastic wads. Also, use FFg or Fg for powder.

The ceiling tile is an interesting thought... I do have a makeshift punch that I have been using to make over-shot cards, but it is the fibre cushion wads that I was wondering about...
 
I use goex ffg myself, {have also used pyrodex, I believe its a 2f equivalent} works great, much fun, I just punch out cardboard cards with a punch in 12g and 410, how many grains do you load, I typically go 75 for 12g and 35 for 410

I was loading 7/8 oz of BB shot and 40 grains of FFFg... a fair thump but nothing real heavy... Do u just use cardboard between powder and shot as well?
 
I was loading 7/8 oz of BB shot and 40 grains of FFFg... a fair thump but nothing real heavy... Do u just use cardboard between powder and shot as well?

2 or 3 cereal box cards as a nitro card and then some wool felt wads as a cushion make sure they are 100% wool you do not want any plastic in there. I use a 3/4" hole punch I got from princess auto works well for 12ga the 5/8" works for 20ga(not brass hulls though but it works for 24ga brass) and the 7/16" works for .410
 
I was loading 7/8 oz of BB shot and 40 grains of FFFg... a fair thump but nothing real heavy... Do u just use cardboard between powder and shot as well?
Nitro card, cushion wad , overshot wad , shot, and overshot wad
i use enough cushion wad to get the stack height I need for a decent crimp be it gold or roll.

NOTE: I ALWAYS use a .035 overshot wad against the fibre wad so the shot does not imbedd into the fibre wad.
Cat
 
I have cut filler wads from cork sheet, then microwaved them with lube. Lube soaks in well.
Rather than using a punch, I make wad cutters in diameters as needed, then cut the wads using the drill press.
 
I was loading 7/8 oz of BB shot and 40 grains of FFFg... a fair thump but nothing real heavy... Do u just use cardboard between powder and shot as well?

I actually use wax paper crammed over powder and punched out timmys cups for over shot, wood glue over that, let dry, pretty much tight waterproof seal, lowtech for sure, however I don't hunt or anything, just destroy cans and paper so I am not that critical, the most fun is the smoke and your friends saying wtf was that. they have all caught on pretty well now though, great thread as its good to get other peoples ideas, I am going to try the fibrewads over powder next time. for powder and shot, I use #2 shot and the same dipper for both, equal parts shot and powder. although I have used bb's, ball bearings and even marbles, lol, I use my dom arm backpacker for these formulas as I am not to concerned about marking the bore up. the shorter the barrel the easier that stuff is for clean up as well, lol {what a mess it makes}
 
I have cut filler wads from cork sheet, then microwaved them with lube. Lube soaks in well.
Rather than using a punch, I make wad cutters in diameters as needed, then cut the wads using the drill press.

that's a pretty cool idea, how do you make the wad cutters that you can chuck up in the drill press?
 
I have cut filler wads from cork sheet, then microwaved them with lube. Lube soaks in well.
Rather than using a punch, I make wad cutters in diameters as needed, then cut the wads using the drill press.

Drill press would be much quicker than tapping them out with a hammer... That is a great idea! So far I haven't incorporated any lube into my recipe, but that would keep cleanup easier for sure...
 
I tried a couple this evening with an ounce of #7 shot over the equivalent measure of FFg goex. That's in the neighborhood of 60 grains of powder... Less felt recoil with these. It would seem the powder does make quite a difference from 2F to 3F...
 
i have often thought about back in the day when i was a kid playing around the railroad tracks and finding those lead balls and collecting them, wish i had that bucketful now, would like to find some round ball ammo to shoot in a 410, 20g or 12g shell with b.p. anyone know of any?
 
i have often thought about back in the day when i was a kid playing around the railroad tracks and finding those lead balls and collecting them, wish i had that bucketful now, would like to find some round ball ammo to shoot in a 410, 20g or 12g shell with b.p. anyone know of any?

lee molds are cheap .690" for 12ga .600" for 20ga and it would be pointless in .410 but 0000 buckshot pellets or .375" round balls would work for that if you are not into casting you can get round balls just about everywhere for use in muzzleloaders
 
that's a pretty cool idea, how do you make the wad cutters that you can chuck up in the drill press?

I start with a piece of tubing that is closest to the correct size. Bore it as required. Bevel the cutting end. Cut a window in the side so wads can be poked out. Weld or braze a plug into the open end, turn it true with the tube, and reduce to 1/2" fit the chuck. Sharpen. I put a board on the drill press table, cut a few wads, turn off the drill press, poke out the wads, repeat.
 
Back
Top Bottom