Can you combine 2f and 4f.

Brickie

Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Location
Edmonton
I want to reload some 38+P casings with BP and want to know if I can combine some 2F with 4F which I could get, in stead of using 3F, which I don't. I know 4F burns faster but could I use that alone in a +P case?
 
Last edited:
From what I have read if your going to use 4F in a modern gun it should be fine, the pressures are higher than larger grain BP but it's not going to be dangerous for a smokeless gun.

Some people have run 4F through their muskets without ill effects however I wouldn't try it. Anyway, with a .38 special I'm sure you will be fine pressure wise but wait for some others to chime in as well first.
 
I would stick to 3f. I've never tried that but my impression is you may get an erratic and uneven burn in the powder due to the difference in size.

Just speculating at this point I've never tried it but it would be interesting to see some results on the more scientific level.
 
if you mix the two powders, you will probably have problems keeping the mixture consistent and consistent loads are more desirable than variable ones that have a slightly higher velocity. I would not use 4F by itself. If the powder is only slightly compacted you will get higher pressures and if you compress it, I would expect that because it is very fine, it will burn slower like a briquet. I have shot over compressed loads with 3F, in the past, and they shot lower and slower than moderately compressed loads. I also remember a person shooting a antique Manhatten knockoff of a Colt, who cracked the frame by shooting 4F

cheers mooncoon
 
Mixing 2F & 4F does not make 3F. The "F size" is based on the size of the grains. I would not use 4F to fire a gun. If you have a mortar and pestle you could try grinding the 2F slightly finer. BE CAREFUL and make sure there are NO IGNITION SOURCES if you try this!.
 
DO NOT COMBINE!

Only the Swiss have mastered that.

Do not use 4FG either.

I would stick with using 3FG only.

If you can't get it, you could use a Black Powder substitute like American Pioneer which I use. (3FG American Pioneer)

If all else fails, use smokeless until you can get the 3FG Black.

And don't be selling off that Trail Boss, that stuff is like pure GOLD right now.:p
 
Last edited:
Why not just use the ffg? Works just fine in .38 special. I have loaded 17 grains, compressed enough to get a grease cookie and wad in there under the bullet. No issues.
 
DO NOT COMBINE!

Only the Swiss have mastered that.

Do not use 4FG either.

I would stick with using 3FG only.

If you can't get it, you could use a Black Powder substitute like American Pioneer which I use. (3FG American Pioneer)

If all else fails, use smokeless until you can get the 3FG Black.

And don't be selling off that Trail Boss, that stuff is like pure GOLD right now.:p
I will stick with 2F and 3F. I am shooting in the frontier category in CAS so smokeless is not really an option for me. There is a guy selling some 2F and 4F locally and I just wanted to know if I could use the 4F somehow.
Trail Boss is gold?!?! Well I have 9OZ for sale. Gold is about $1100 an oz, I would take $9900 for it. LOL
 
Back
Top Bottom