Enfield-Snider Ammunition Box

airgunfun

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
Location
Moncton, NB
Picked up today at a local show.

BE409548-8236-4712-B30D-ADB39F92849D_zpsezzgqusz.jpg


F79D7DDE-53DD-4CD5-82FE-327950285A6E_zpsuf3tctoc.jpg


B1F42B40-24D0-4A5E-BF50-A04BAC8D09EE_zpsbgaqxdch.jpg


26659D88-4C7F-4932-B8D0-1D5FD35441BA_zpsxzunohlz.jpg


6A710329-8F73-421B-8EB8-D8D28AEE044E_zpsfmn85bga.jpg


C43C9037-9E6A-4896-8F56-0D2047E122D6_zpsztyat0sy.jpg


E5890885-117B-4F23-8BA4-A1C9B17B42A4_zpsiab9o0xp.jpg


5B2A8AFF-9CEB-49FE-B43D-12BAB484184A_zpsue5fqbqk.jpg
 
I purchased it with a super clean Snider 3-band. First one I've been offered with a tin lining, there are unlined boxes on market. I was offered one last fall for $450 and Salter has a couple listed on his site.
 
Same type of Box the British ran into problems opening when Zulu's were over running their position correct? I can't remember the name of the movie (excellent one). I've been told that the box design changed after that engagement to one that didn't require a screwdriver/tool to open.
If I recall the movie, they tried smashing the box with rifle butts and throwing them on the ground to no avail. The iron bands kept the box wood mostly enact thereby preventing any easy access to the sealed tin liner.

Very cool and rare box in this condition OP. Nice find.
 
Zulu dawn most likely that one was the battle of isandlwana where Zulu(1964) was the battle of rorke's drift

Yup. I've got DVD's of both. Zulu Dawn is the first part, Zulu is part two, following the actual chronological order. However, the films were made several years apart in the opposite order, I think. In Zulu Dawn the massacre of the British at Isandlwana is depicted as resulting from the incompetence of the British leadership as well as due to their being vastly outnumbered.
 
Yup. I've got DVD's of both. Zulu Dawn is the first part, Zulu is part two, following the actual chronological order. However, the films were made several years apart in the opposite order, I think. In Zulu Dawn the massacre of the British at Isandlwana is depicted as resulting from the incompetence of the British leadership as well as due to their being vastly outnumbered.

in real life there was a number of factors that played into the British defeat at Isandlwana incompetence of the British leadership is just one
 
^ British incompetence you say! Tish tosh, poppycock, baulderdash I say! When out numbered 100-1 and the enemy is pouring over your defensive square, what else could possible be done but die like Englishmen, boots on, warm barrel, blood soaked bayonet. (don't ya just love 1960's Hollywood?:p)
 
^ British incompetence you say! Tish tosh, poppycock, baulderdash I say! When out numbered 100-1 and the enemy is pouring over your defensive square, what else could possible be done but die like Englishmen, boots on, warm barrel, blood soaked bayonet. (don't ya just love 1960's Hollywood?:p)

squares.... they didn't even have that, they were in line and an extended line one deep. Against a human wave attack.....


perhaps if they had gattling guns they might have had a chance.
 
squares.... they didn't even have that, they were in line and an extended line one deep. Against a human wave attack.....


perhaps if they had gattling guns they might have had a chance.

Ah, that's where they fu<ed up! The thin red line only works if they're Highland Regiments (no one dares to charge...not even cavalry:p).

201640_original.jpg
...add another 500 of their buddies and you charge their line!? (mincemeat:))
 
Back
Top Bottom