I purchased some old rifles from a fellow CGNer a few weeksago, just retired and was looking for some projects and some wall hangers to spruce up the gun room.
The one I am most pleased with so far is the Snider Enfield with lock marked Enfield and dated 1871.
When I recieved the rifle was very pleased to see that it was complete, the lock functioned very well with positive 1/2 #### and full #### positions and the breech block was even unsiezed with the thumb latch working properly!
This is one of the # III models purpose built with the Snider conversions it is a 2 band model that doesn't seem to match any of the described versions out there so I am guessing it has been modified somewhat in the distant past as the patina shows that this rifle has been in this stock for a loooong time!
(The bluing is still present and in very good condition under the stock and both barrel bands although the barrel and all exposed parts when assembled have the dark brown patina.)
The barrel is a 3 groove, although when I got it I thought it was bored out smooth as no rifling was apparent! Couldn't believe once I cleaned it up that the rifling was not only present but very pronounced with sharp rifling and no deep pitting. (I'm going to be able to shoot this rifle!!!).
Overall length of the rifle is 47 1/4 inches from muzzle to end of brass butt plate,
28 1/2 inches from breech to end of barrel, (no bayonette lug on this barrel)
33 1/2 inches from butt plate to end of brass nose cap on stock.
Barrel and reciever one left side are both marked VR 2.P. which is struck out with a large X through them and below that on both is the WD with the arrow above it.
Barrel also has VR 1.P. that was not struck out?
Has F.7 on the barrel and the reciever by the barrel index mark.
Breech block and rear site both marked 8989 as well as having the inspectors mark with the crown.
The barrel is marked 6/71 which I understand means it was built in June 1871 ?
All parts are marked WD (for War Department?) With crown and inspectors mark on all except the smallest parts. Even 95% of the screws have the arrow on them.
No less than 15 different inspector marks on the various parts including the stock, wonder if this was normal on these rifles?
The cartouche on the stock is a circle with R "Crown" M, arrow under that, WD under arrow, and Enfield under that all within the circle and a "1" under the circle.






These are a few of the pictures showing the markings on the rifle and one of the barrel interior with a bore scope before soaking the bore with CLR cleaner.Man did that stuff clean our a lot of rust!
Sorry for the crappy pictures... they looked good on the camera but appear to be rather poor on here, will try again!
Rodney
The one I am most pleased with so far is the Snider Enfield with lock marked Enfield and dated 1871.
When I recieved the rifle was very pleased to see that it was complete, the lock functioned very well with positive 1/2 #### and full #### positions and the breech block was even unsiezed with the thumb latch working properly!
This is one of the # III models purpose built with the Snider conversions it is a 2 band model that doesn't seem to match any of the described versions out there so I am guessing it has been modified somewhat in the distant past as the patina shows that this rifle has been in this stock for a loooong time!
(The bluing is still present and in very good condition under the stock and both barrel bands although the barrel and all exposed parts when assembled have the dark brown patina.)
The barrel is a 3 groove, although when I got it I thought it was bored out smooth as no rifling was apparent! Couldn't believe once I cleaned it up that the rifling was not only present but very pronounced with sharp rifling and no deep pitting. (I'm going to be able to shoot this rifle!!!).
Overall length of the rifle is 47 1/4 inches from muzzle to end of brass butt plate,
28 1/2 inches from breech to end of barrel, (no bayonette lug on this barrel)
33 1/2 inches from butt plate to end of brass nose cap on stock.
Barrel and reciever one left side are both marked VR 2.P. which is struck out with a large X through them and below that on both is the WD with the arrow above it.
Barrel also has VR 1.P. that was not struck out?
Has F.7 on the barrel and the reciever by the barrel index mark.
Breech block and rear site both marked 8989 as well as having the inspectors mark with the crown.
The barrel is marked 6/71 which I understand means it was built in June 1871 ?
All parts are marked WD (for War Department?) With crown and inspectors mark on all except the smallest parts. Even 95% of the screws have the arrow on them.
No less than 15 different inspector marks on the various parts including the stock, wonder if this was normal on these rifles?
The cartouche on the stock is a circle with R "Crown" M, arrow under that, WD under arrow, and Enfield under that all within the circle and a "1" under the circle.






These are a few of the pictures showing the markings on the rifle and one of the barrel interior with a bore scope before soaking the bore with CLR cleaner.Man did that stuff clean our a lot of rust!
Sorry for the crappy pictures... they looked good on the camera but appear to be rather poor on here, will try again!
Rodney
























































