Swiss and Swede on EE

Status
Not open for further replies.
And prices on Webley's are not even more out to lunch? Inferior revolvers that sell for more.

Go throw your finely tuned Swiss or nagant out in a mud filled trench and then see how well it works :)
Webleys are very well made for there purpose.
I always like the fact the webleys were in a bigger caliber as well.
I think to say Antique webleys are inferior is abit much.

Webleys killed plenty in horrible muddy conditions of the bore war and even in WWI the MKI**s
And when you get outa service revolvers the webley WG target guns held more records at bisley than most other makes in that time period.
I do not own any swiss 1882s or nagants anymore but I still own some nice hard hitting webleys and Tranters by choice with seeing how both guns preform.
The British and the Americans like the bigger calibers the Europeans like the small fast calibers.
so its more a matter of choice not that one is inferior to the other.
 
Here are the facts,

Webleys are not as strong, they are less refined, and MUCH less accurate. OK, maybe the mud test would favour a Webley. :) Who cares.

These prices need to come down for ALL antique handguns. It's absolutely ridiculous.

(sorry, I don't know a nice way to say it without offending somebody!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Antique anything tends to go up in value over time eh! that's why a lot of people buy and collect them.
if you don't like the local prices you go import some if you can even find any theses days as supply is drying up and with the low dollar in Canada right now + they have gone up in the USA as well.
im only selling about 1 gun a month hardly a business theses days im buying more than im selling theses days. the most I ever sold a 1882 swiss was $1700 for a mint gun with and original holster years ago.
now with our dollar so low and antiques costing more in the USA theses days it reflects the prices up here.
Yes theses couple Swiss guns listed seem priced hi but a gun that was $1500 when the dollar was at par can easy end up being $2000 now.
the supply is drying up that's just the hard facts.
as far as strength goes a soild framed webley army express is way stronger than any swiss 1882 revolver and just as accurate.
the webley MKI and MKIIs aint that accurate but there designed to be close range combat weapons trench warfare guns. a commercial MKI or MKII is just as nice finished as a swiss 1882.
 
Antique handguns in Canada draw a premium for other reasons then down south, specially in easily shoot able calibers.
 
Looking at them, if I was in the market for a antique Swiss or Swede revolver, I would pass as those prices are out to lunch from what I have seen.

If I was budgeting for them, I would have 1200-1600$ for the Swiss revolver, and about the same for the Swede. Honestly though, I would just buy a restricted one and save roughly a grand on each, but that is just me, and I know some people love the whole antique status thing (I only really shoot at the range, so it isn't any more of a hassle for me).
 
Of course, I'm comparing antique with antique. And, I've owned 3 over-priced Webley's (all antique "status"). But, I won't say any more. I certainly suggest that anybody ready to drop $2000+ on an old, worn, beat looking MK1 or MKII to pick-up a Swiss 1882 or Swedish Nagant. I will personally teach you how to properly reload for them (easier and cheaper than Webley), and I can absolutely guarantee they will shoot lights-out, and you will understand the meaning of refinement.
 
Looking at them, if I was in the market for a antique Swiss or Swede revolver, I would pass as those prices are out to lunch from what I have seen.

If I was budgeting for them, I would have 1200-1600$ for the Swiss revolver, and about the same for the Swede. Honestly though, I would just buy a restricted one and save roughly a grand on each, but that is just me, and I know some people love the whole antique status thing (I only really shoot at the range, so it isn't any more of a hassle for me).

You are 100% correct about saving money and buying a restricted version. It's just that you no longer have the flexibility as with an antique status firearm.
 
I was under the impression that the smaller caliber European pistols were officers mark of rank. Not really meant to be man stoppers, but badges of rank.
Whereas American pistols ( and British too ) were meant to ' Put 'em down...and they'll stay down too.
So...do you want an officer's 'Shiny' or an enlisted man's 'Hammer'...?
 
I suppose German or Swiss Lugers were more show than go? Give me a break.

This is the classic big bullet vs. small bullet argument that never ends.

Nothing wrong with Webleys as far as antique revolvers go, they're just not that impressive, and the early ones aren't very accurate.

The Swiss 1882 is impressive, and it's an antique. The Swedish Nagants are also finely engineered.
 
Last edited:
I have what I think is the very best made pre 1898 handgun a Pre 1898 Belgium made H Pieper revolver that's way ahead of its time its a soild frame revolver with a swing out to the left cylinder and its 7 shooter to. SA and DA gas seal rebounding hammer! mechanics are fantastic.
I think that's why the Mexicans bought a 5000 shipment that extra shot always throws people off.lol
it shoots the 8mm ammo like the French 1892s to but a different type cartridge case .
I like it so much id never sell it there very very rare guns tho so most people have never even seen one let alone shot one.
There a gas seal revolver H pieper came up with the gas seal revolver first , but let the patent expire and I think it was the nagant brothers took his idea for there later nagant revolvers. but they never built anything like the design of the H Pieper revolver tho at that time.
the Mexican Government bought 5000 of them and not many exist anymore.
Its a really cool gun very accurate and I do use it a lot so its not that I don't like all small caliber handguns I just like them to be fast to reload like the French 1892s.
my point being.
If im gona have a small cartridge handgun I want to be able to reload fast . that's why I would take a webley over a swiss 1882 and a Nagant there just to slow to reload for there tiny cartridge and theres better options out there I think the common French 1892 is a great weapon better design for sure with the swing out cylinder with faster reloading.
But there all fun to target shoot with big small there all great fun.

Im not positive but I think Henry Pieper went onto to build some wicked hi end handguns styer I think was one. But he was ahead of his time.
 
Last edited:
Well. I guess I have to wade in here...

The last batch of antique status Swiss revolvers that a true dealer brought in were being sold for $1800... Here's the thing about listing on a buy and sell, people want to dicker. I understand as I do it myself... So start a little higher and see where you end up. There are currently 3 offers on that gun at $1500... And I'll buy 10 at $1,000, please find them for me.

The swede is a truely rare piece. ond of the original 1500 made in Belgium and also one of 900 (both Swedish and Belgian made) revolvers Arsenal refurbished in WWII...oh and did I mention it was also used by the Swedish postal service? How many of those are still around? ....oh, and it comes with the original holster. That's a few bucks on its own.

Comparing either of these guns to a webley is laughable. These guns are light years ahead of the old Brit war pigs... And if I got into some kind of old timey shootout in a mud pit I'd want the Swiss M1882.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom