RCMP Draft Policy on C96 Antiques

rattus

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Maple Ridge, BC
I pulled this out of an access to information request posted to Reddit. It's a draft policy from the RCMP on how to identify Mauser C96 pistols that meet the requirements to be antique. There is also an earlier note doing the calculation for serial range.

Here's the summary and antique characteristics:

1) Serial number - It all depend on how many pistols were produced per day. At the high end it is 19 per day, at the low it's 8 per day. The RCMP seems to prefer the low end number but that still puts the upper end of serials at 5442

2) Trigger Style - sub-assembly with attached floorplate, large round trigger face

3) Pre-production spur hammer or cone hammer

4) Upper receiver markings

5) Extractor style - Long straight and thin

6) Firing pin retainer - Dovetail block

7) Rifling - 4 groove rifling

8) Bolt Locking Lug - Single locking lug

9) Sight attachment - Fixed rear sights or adjustable with cross pin
 
Last edited:
Awesome, thx for sharing, eta on this becoming the new standard for determining antique c96s?

No idea if it will, this was only released because someone put in an access to information request. Still, it should make arguing a specific pistol is antique easier.
 
Last edited:
May be I'm contaminating this chatter with stupid question. Aside of shooting in the bush (which you will not want to do frequently with expensive collector gun), are there any other immediate benefits of turning it into antique? CCW? Price bump up?
 
Plus you don't need a PAL.

I guess whoever has c96 - has PAL anyways.

It reminds me a realtor knocking my door and telling my house is twice as much it was 5 years ago. But I don't have plans selling it, why do I care? But still I feel better.

But yeah, seems like some folks are happy to flip it for higher price and I understand that. Let me know. I'm actually looking for one. Does not really matter if it would be antique or not. Depends on the price.
 
Not necessarily, there are those who can not have, or do not want to have a PAL, but want to have a gun. Dewats, toys and antiques are their only legal options.
 
Time to breath life into this old thread.

There are still plenty of experts alive, plus a few dozen who wrote books, that will contradict this nonsense resoundingly.

Has anyone here had their application to change their Mauser C96 pistol status from Restricted (or heaven forbid, Prohibited) to Antique, denied?

I believe it's time to review this policy. This math suggests they will refuse pistols made in 1897 because it's "too close" to 1898.

I would love to hear from applicants, successful and not, and will be looking for some reputable books and experts. If the USA accepts a different cut-off for pre-1899, the production per year should be easily determined. On Monday I'll be looking to BATF for some clarification, unless someone here already has it...
 
I have a 2700ish serial number C-96 that is not registered as restricted, but does not have an antique letter. It was sold to me with the express knowledge that the RCMP are very flaky on granting C-96s antique status. I exchanged some emails with Daniel Guay at the firearms technology branch and he confirmed it for me as antique based on the photos I sent. I did however do a fair amount of research in advance and was confident going in that it checked all the boxes. I will be applying for the antique letter shortly.

What's a current fair value for a lettered antique C-96 in very good condition? No accessories.
 
Back
Top Bottom