What is the 'best' antique status pistol you can buy in canada?

I reload my 45 Schofield cartridges with .454 grain soft cast bullets made from pure lead, over a medium burning powder such as 5744 for 850 ft/sec. This is slightly faster than the standard 45 ACP load, but significantly lower pressure due to the larger case volume and slower burning powder. For the 44 Russian, I used soft cast bullets out the barrel at 750 fps in an original S&W first model American. When I first got it, I performed a series of measurements including end shake and max cylinder to throat gap. Over time, I continued the measurements. After several years of use, there was no change whatsoever in the measurements. Your experience may differ. I would never use hard cast bullets in an antique, and I prefer to use medium speed powder if I am going for anything approaching original BP velocities. This is not to say you cannot use faster powders like Unique, but you may want to ensure that the pressures for that particular load are kept reasonably low.
 
The .22 c-96 was listed as antique. My understanding is that it fell under the serial number cutoff for antiques so could be restored back to original caliber by relining or replacing the upper (later version upper may not match though) and then be recognized as an antique by the RCMP. Thus the low price of 5k - for all the footwork required ;)

All antique c-96 were originally made in 7.63x25 but they _could_ be rechambered to something else in their lifetime.

Good luck finding one - they are few and far between. On average I see about one a year - last one before this was on consignment at the CSC for over double what they wanted for this .22 example.

Yes they are nice for wilderness protection because of the powerful cartridge, but they also have that inherent problem of semiautomatics - unlike revolvers, if they misfire you are done until you can cycle it using _both_ hands.
 
Last edited:
The .22 c-96 was listed as antique. My understanding is that it fell under the serial number cutoff for antiques so could be restored back to original caliber by relining or replacing the upper (later version upper may not match though) and then be recognized as an antique by the RCMP. Thus the low price of 5k - for all the footwork required ;)

All antique c-96 were originally made in 7.63x25 but they _could_ be rechambered to something else in their lifetime.

Good luck finding one - they are few and far between. On average I see about one a year - last one before this was on consignment at the CSC for over double what they wanted for this .22 example.

Yes they are nice for wilderness protection because of the powerful cartridge, but they also have that inherent problem of semiautomatics - unlike revolvers, if they misfire you are done until you can cycle it using _both_ hands.
If it was in .22 it wasn't antique. It's not that hard.
 
My error. As I recall it was in another 22 rimfire chambering similar to but not 22lr, but was able to reliably shoot 22lr. I believe that is why it was an antique. It was not chambered in 22 short, 22 long, or 22 long rifle which would make it restricted.

Moe
 
My error. As I recall it was in another 22 rimfire chambering similar to but not 22lr, but was able to reliably shoot 22lr. I believe that is why it was an antique. It was not chambered in 22 short, 22 long, or 22 long rifle which would make it restricted.

Moe

Thanks for the info! I'll keep my eyes open on ee for one. After seeing these come as antiques I NEED to buy one haha. I don't care the cost, I'll sell my truck if need be
 
My error. As I recall it was in another 22 rimfire chambering similar to but not 22lr, but was able to reliably shoot 22lr. I believe that is why it was an antique. It was not chambered in 22 short, 22 long, or 22 long rifle which would make it restricted.

Moe

was listed as .22 stinger
 
.22 stinger is .22 LR... I'm amazed if it was lettered.

I agree ^^ a stinger just has a slightly longer 22LR case and lighter bullet its still 22LR.

I would only touch one converted to rimfire if it was 22 magnum or 22 WRF which is a bigger dia case than a 22 LR and a so a different chamber and neither 22 Magnum or 22 WRF are on the NO list.
tho 22 WRF is very hard ammo to find I found 13 boxes and bought them all.
they were pre 1898 made rimfire to the 22 WRF not that that maters it might one day tho. you can still find modern runs of the ammo now and then its like a shorter 22 magnum.
I had a SAA colt that shot both 22 Magnum and 22WRF it was antique status and would stand up to any checking.
Best thing to do with that mauser is what the seller said and change it back to its original chambering or 9mm.
Id not keep it in its 22 LR state stinger or not just my 2 cents.
im not sure if they could shoot 22 Magnum maby to long but that's another choice and a possible rechamber.

Anyway id buy a antique saa colt or a S&W schofield or a remy 1875 over a semi auto mauser. the mausers are very cool and way ahead of there time but if that L shaped bolt block piece ever busted (and ive seen them crack) you will end up with a nice big chunk of metal stuck between your eyes lol there great fun to shoot tho. ive had 3 or 4 of them liked them all. I just prefer the bigger dia swc bullets the antique revolvers shoot.
 
Not that I'd do it, but why not a .44 cap & ball revolver? Good chunk of lead out the front. Dirt simple in design & a lot of them were built like tanks... And if the da bear shoves it up your arse it may not hurt as much do to fewer moving parts....:p;):d[/QUOTE

I like it ! If nothing else all the smoke and the pop will hopefully scare the hell out of the bear , then under the cover of the smoke screen you just created , run like hell !
 
I've got a Werder (11.5x35R) Single shot, lumpy, but powerful and good rate of fire. Martini style action is way beyond revolver strengths. Downside: $5@ for brass. Shoots any .452" bullet, but I'm still hunting for the 330 grain Webley style bullet it should have.

Another solid: a 50/70 Remington rolling block (~$2K)

The spec for the Werder BTW was punching a 3/16" tempered steel breastplate at 50m.
 
I've got a Werder (11.5x35R) Single shot, lumpy, but powerful and good rate of fire. Martini style action is way beyond revolver strengths. Downside: $5@ for brass. Shoots any .452" bullet, but I'm still hunting for the 330 grain Webley style bullet it should have.

Another solid: a 50/70 Remington rolling block (~$2K)

The spec for the Werder BTW was punching a 3/16" tempered steel breastplate at 50m.

Got any pics? Those look like well made interesting guns
 
Got any pics? Those look like well made interesting guns

Dingus had one or these massive pistols (model of 1869) not that long ago, if you run out of ammo you can always use it as a club, here is a picture of one -

Pistole%20Werder%20Mod.%2069,.jpg

cb9aa01a83745c527d6c2e6658d792ef.jpg
9302c57f7af734d53fa8d9c96e534b1c.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom