Anyone improve an '89 Colt to a '92?

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
I've a '89 and 2 '92 Colts.

The '89 is in pretty nice shape , but...it's an '89. Pretty milquetoast lockup mechanism on '89's IMO. Something to be said for .385 HB bullets in a 41, a little room entering the bbl if ( or when in an '89 ) the cylinder is not perfectly indexed.
A well meaning prior owner took it down to the white and " Cleaned up the star on the back of the extractor with a file..." Thanks for that...not really...well, I've got a shooter anyhow. One with no question as to Antique status to boot.
It's been written that a lot of '89's were factory upgraded to '92 status.
The 92's are 38 LC and not very functional at all, one is a parts gun...haven't decided which yet.
In theory; I should be able to get the cyl bored out by about 0.040+/- and install it and the necessary parts into the '89. With no permanent modifications required. Both cylinders are manufactured from the same era of metallurgy, I'd going to logically surmise that a 38 LC cylinder bore'd over will still handle 41 LC pressures.
Sure be nice to have a 41 that locks up properly, rather than the '89's setup. Though the one '92 that is (semi) properly functioning, doesn't seem to lockup any better than the '89...worn I suspect. Still not a shining example of Colt wizardry one might expect.
Has anyone ever in the participating members ever done such a thing?
Thanks
Tokguy
 
A guy on youtube has a lot of knowledge of the family and converting around these old Colts, His handle is toxicredneck. Look his chanel over and reach out to him.

Moe
 
The 89 is quite nice, they are getting hard to find in that shape... the later 89s had 92 frames - the cutout windows were there for the cylinder bolt, but no bolt was fitted. I've looked at mine and wondered the same thing. Should only be a matter of fitting a few parts.
 
The 89 is quite nice, they are getting hard to find in that shape... the later 89s had 92 frames - the cutout windows were there for the cylinder bolt, but no bolt was fitted. I've looked at mine and wondered the same thing. Should only be a matter of fitting a few parts.

Seems like you & I ought to get together and do a little planning, eh? Although one of the 92's is missing both Bolt stops and the hand, but I think I have a chipped hand in my parts box. They would both still be a good donors for the cylinders alone.

Edit; toxicredneck is Starpuss! He was around CGN for awhile years ago, seemed like an alright member. IIRC, he got burned pretty badly...trumped up LE stuff, disremember exactly what went down...seemed a shame. He did know his stuff I think.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom