Lost antique paperwork.

Call the cfc as usual. Wade through the phone tree. I know you're new but the info is reeeaaaaalllyy easy to find without even using the semi functional search function on here. You'll also end up reading about antique law, since it's darn important for all antique owners to know, since the police definitely don't, and it's up to us to all be knowledgeable polite representatives of the hobby.When you get the new status sheet, make copies.
 
Last edited:
It is possible that whomever you got the pistol from has a copy of the paper work as well??

I kept copies for mine in case the buyer who I sold it to or anyone else down the road needs it.
 
Thanks for the help. I did try to search but could not find anything. I wasn't aware that it was not required. How would the cops know it was an antique with out the letter?
 
I don't care if I have paper work or not as long as I know it's antique thats why I call and ask them to check then thats good enough for me....

I used to carry the paper work to show anyone that would ask and you know I've never been asked only at the range and by other gun owners...


I've spoken with police at the range and even on duty and explained them the firearm laws because they had no idea what they could own or not own. 1 want an AR 15 for zombies I said why get an ar 15 when you can get a travor or swiss rifle instead much nicer and you don't have to shoot it at only a range.

I even gave him a copy of the disaster responce plans for BC which includes blue prints of buildings and were to search for bombs. He was very supprized I had a hardcopy of that since it's the 2012 copy because even he couldn't get a copy its good to know people and speak to government officials high up you would be suprized what info you can get just by walking up to people in the office and speaking to them nicely.

I also helped a small town get hooked into the disaster plan as well as they had no idea how to hook in to the radio system (it's all encrypted and very expensive) They wanted to be ready for an earthquake or big storm because they're remote and only have a ferry to come in and out. I told them who to speak to high up and the people that make the plans...
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I did try to search but could not find anything. I wasn't aware that it was not required. How would the cops know it was an antique with out the letter?

I have my own letter I made up that states the laws and how the gun falls into antique status:

wloi6v.jpg
 
I think I've bought one of your old firearms (it came from another CGN'er, with the exact same type of letter) !....:wave:[/QUOTE]

I sent a copy of your letter when I was buying a handgun from a US dealer with the gun's info on it. He thought it was a staight forward, to the point letter, so that's what came in the shipping docs. I have a feeling he copyed it for other Canadian shipments. (hope tou don't mind)..
 
I sent a copy of your letter when I was buying a handgun from a US dealer with the gun's info on it. He thought it was a staight forward, to the point letter, so that's what came in the shipping docs. I have a feeling he copyed it for other Canadian shipments. (hope tou don't mind)..

Not at all! I just emailed a .txt version to a CGN'er so he can use it. I think it pretty clearly spells out the laws and how the gun is antique without "registering" your antique with the CFC. Perhaps a phone number for the CFC or even tech line ext. added?

I wonder if I can post a .txt document link in a thread, maybe make a sticky?
 

38 special is ok, but it's not a clean cut answer. According to my conversation with the firearms lab, the firearm has to have started life in a caliber not included in the no-good list in order to legally be considered antique, and it's up to the owner to prove it was. No antique started life in 38 special...
 
38 special is ok, but it's not a clean cut answer. According to my conversation with the firearms lab, the firearm has to have started life in a caliber not included in the no-good list in order to legally be considered antique, and it's up to the owner to prove it was. No antique started life in 38 special...

That is not what the law says...
 
The law says "designed or adapted", the RCMP firearm lab is interpreting "designed" to mean originally manufactured in a particular caliber. Save your debate for the judge, I don't like it either. If I had the money, I'd take it to court and argue that the Colt 1873 was originally designed to fire .44, and therefore all pre-1898 1873s are antique regardless of caliber.
 
Hi guys,

I recentley misplaced the RCMP letter for my antique pistol. Does anyone know how I can get a new copy?

How to get a antique letter? Here....

Phone 1-800-731-4000(CFC)
Press 1 for english
press 1 for the extension,

Extension is 1090

All you need is the

make-
model-
serial number-
caliber-

Hope that helped.
CG
 
Back
Top Bottom