First attempt at Brown Bess cartridges

Dsiwy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
Just made a few Brown Bess cartridges for the first time :)

Packing paper
69cal lead ball
Twine
90gr of FF goex

If they're any suggestions let me know and did they wax drip these ones?

IMG_0520.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 191
Pretty much how I make mine, my paper is different though, it comes in a lot of our suppliers boxes as packing material.

They work pretty good, not all that accurate mind you.

Makes loading fast lol, but when they are all gone you are like awe man....

Is your bess a pedersoli as well?

I tend to run a few lubed patch balls through my gun first to build that layer before I run a bunch of the cartridges through it, helps with cleaning and helps build the seasoning.
 
Pretty much how I make mine, my paper is different though, it comes in a lot of our suppliers boxes as packing material.

They work pretty good, not all that accurate mind you.

Makes loading fast lol, but when they are all gone you are like awe man....

What paper are you using?

I found packing paper to be thin and original enough looking. Found rolls of it at office depot, its a little shinny on one side but I just face that in.
 
What paper are you using?

I found packing paper to be thin and original enough looking. Found rolls of it at office depot, its a little shinny on one side but I just face that in.

That's the thing, I'm not entirely sure as I take it from the boxes our merch shows up in. It's relatively thick, it's waxy, easy to manipulate but doesn't rip easy. It works well enough for me.
 
How well does your musket shoot with .69cal rbs? Have you tried .75s yet? I used former some kielbasa wrap butcher paper on a batch of cartridges and it worked surprisingly well. Smelled good too :) I find news print compresses well but is prone to tearing more so than other mediums. Printer paper is good for blanks.
 
How well does your musket shoot with .69cal rbs? Have you tried .75s yet? I used former some kielbasa wrap butcher paper on a batch of cartridges and it worked surprisingly well. Smelled good too :) I find news print compresses well but is prone to tearing more so than other mediums. Printer paper is good for blanks.

Just finished casting the balls this weekend so have not had a chance to shoot it. I wanted to used the original military size ball just to be a purest :p

I was not going to pay the crazy prices online for lead ball lol.
 
Just finished casting the balls this weekend so have not had a chance to shoot it. I wanted to used the original military size ball just to be a purest :p

I was not going to pay the crazy prices online for lead ball lol.

Fair enough! If you get bored with the .69s and want to try out the .75s without throwing $120 on a lyman mold I'd be happy to send you a little pile to test. Just cover postage.
 
I used to roll cartridges out of photocopy paper but some of them smoldered on the ground after and range nazzis complained. It sure is handy to have them premade though
 
Fair enough! If you get bored with the .69s and want to try out the .75s without throwing $120 on a lyman mold I'd be happy to send you a little pile to test. Just cover postage.

I will keep that offer in mind :) thank you very much!

Might try a thick cloth wad with the 69cal and see if its any better. If not then maybe I will load some ball and buck :p
 
Back
Top Bottom