I think its related to the physics / mechanics of the size of the arms and legs, shorter moment arms require less force to move, so if you had the same muscles on a smaller frame, you could exert more force.
Canadian FN C1A1. Issued until 1984 if I remember my history right.Just fired 25 rnds standing in our military match using my Martini Metford 1889 in .303 with fixed bayonet 9.5 lb rifle plus the bayonet ,It's bloody heavy and tough to hold on target
Apparently the knights were quite small in stature yet they wore full amour and yielded large swords.
The astronaut suits at the Houston space museum are interesting. The early guys were quite small. Smaller than me, which says a lot LOL.
M
As I understand it, Russian armoured vehicles were made small to conserve material and present a smaller target. They just picked their smallest soldiers to train as tank crew. Easy enough to do when you have millions of recruits to choose from. I wonder if NASA had the same idea.
My point is the old rifles due to manufacturing and materials were bloody heavy and this rifle is the heaviest of my military single shots
Gunners picked for the belly turrets on American B17's and B-24's were picked from smaller sized recruits. Even normal size folks would not fit in those turrets.
I was over in Britain and Scotland a few years back and saw a few military museums. The uniforms on display even up into WWi looked like something today's SMALLER 14 to 15 year old boys would wear. The whole move to taller folks didn't take place until relatively recent times.
And yet the men were actually much smaller than todays average. I visited the Amerian Civil War museum in New Orleans. After noting how small all the uniforms were, the curator commented that the average soldier was 5'5", and 135lbs. So they must have been pretty tough.



























