The old soldiers pre 1900 must have been huge or weight lifters in their spare time

And yet the men were actually much smaller than todays average. I visited the Amerian Civil War museum in New Orleans. After noting how small all the uniforms were, the curator commented that the average soldier was 5'5", and 135lbs. So they must have been pretty tough.
 
Apparently the knights were quite small in stature yet they wore full amour and yielded large swords.

The astronaut suits at the Houston space museum are interesting. The early guys were quite small. Smaller than me, which says a lot LOL.

M
 
My great grand father was in the militia cavalry in the 1890s and the family story was that he shot the Snider "carbeens" for other troopers at the annual target practice because they did not like the recoil. Maybe they all the old timers were not so tough.
 
I think its related to the physics / mechanics of the size of the arms and legs, shorter moment arms require less force to move, so if you had the same muscles on a smaller frame, you could exert more force.
 
I think its related to the physics / mechanics of the size of the arms and legs, shorter moment arms require less force to move, so if you had the same muscles on a smaller frame, you could exert more force.

Very interesting observation, however I do think the total weight of what they have to carry has gone up.
 
The old soldiers pre 1900 must have been huge or weight lifters in their spare time

Just fired 25 rnds standing in our military match using my Martini Metford 1889 in .303 with fixed bayonet 9.5 lb rifle plus the bayonet ,It's bloody heavy and tough to hold on target
Canadian FN C1A1. Issued until 1984 if I remember my history right.


  • Weight, Normal butt, full 20 rd magazine: 10 lb. 15 oz.
fnc1a1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Apparently the knights were quite small in stature yet they wore full amour and yielded large swords.

The astronaut suits at the Houston space museum are interesting. The early guys were quite small. Smaller than me, which says a lot LOL.

M

As I understand it, Russian armoured vehicles were made small to conserve material and present a smaller target. They just picked their smallest soldiers to train as tank crew. Easy enough to do when you have millions of recruits to choose from. I wonder if NASA had the same idea.
 
As I understand it, Russian armoured vehicles were made small to conserve material and present a smaller target. They just picked their smallest soldiers to train as tank crew. Easy enough to do when you have millions of recruits to choose from. I wonder if NASA had the same idea.

Gunners picked for the belly turrets on American B17's and B-24's were picked from smaller sized recruits. Even normal size folks would not fit in those turrets.

I was over in Britain and Scotland a few years back and saw a few military museums. The uniforms on display even up into WWi looked like something today's SMALLER 14 to 15 year old boys would wear. The whole move to taller folks didn't take place until relatively recent times.
 
This details a British Sargeants and rifleman load in 1809..about 80 lbs.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/Rifles/c_rifles.html

In or on the knapsack:

Two shirts
Two pairs of stockings
One pair of shoes
Extra pair of soles and heels for the shoes
Pair of trousers
Greatcoat
Blanket
3 Brushes
Box of blacking
Razor
Soap box and strap
Mess tin, center tin, and lid
Three brushes

Other equipment:

Powder flask
Ball bag containing 30 loose balls
Small wooden mallet to force balls into rifle
Belt and ammo pouch which held 50 rounds of ammunition
Sword belt
Rifle
Haversack
Canteen
Plus at times other squad gear to hand out as needed.
 
My point is the old rifles due to manufacturing and materials were bloody heavy and this rifle is the heaviest of my military single shots

That is fair to say but your starting comment won't get any sympathy from any military person. Stonehorse proves my point with the FAL

Even the C7 is 8.6lbs loaded. Then add that ####ty 2lbs elcan scope and it gets heavy after awhile too. It does not seem that bad because of the design though. IE not 5 feet long like the martini you are talking about
 
Gunners picked for the belly turrets on American B17's and B-24's were picked from smaller sized recruits. Even normal size folks would not fit in those turrets.

I was over in Britain and Scotland a few years back and saw a few military museums. The uniforms on display even up into WWi looked like something today's SMALLER 14 to 15 year old boys would wear. The whole move to taller folks didn't take place until relatively recent times.

I toured a B-17 last summer. At 6'1'' and a buck ninety five in weight, I can tell you the old bombers were not made for big men. I could barely fit through hatches and was hunched over most of the time. My friend who is quite a bit smaller was informed that he was the typical size for air crew and would have been a good candidate for a ball turret gunner.
 
Tough was from environment. Size was from food. Even today you can spot the aristocrats in Europe by greater size and build: generations of better food.
As for prior genarations tougher: I visited some old mining towns in Colorado. Bunk house was two inches of pine, with tar paper between. Seven to eight months snowed in place, with temps of -60° and 100mph winds. Altitude 10000ft plus. Yeh. Tough.
 
And yet the men were actually much smaller than todays average. I visited the Amerian Civil War museum in New Orleans. After noting how small all the uniforms were, the curator commented that the average soldier was 5'5", and 135lbs. So they must have been pretty tough.

Damn! That's my height and weight. I must be one tough little mother .....er. Been thus height and weight since I left Regular Army thanks to diet and exercise.

I noticed the smallness of suits of armour in European museums as well the the beds. People today are larger generally due to diet and better health overall. Except asa society, we are eating ourselves into diabetes, obesity and heart disease with our high standard of living and couch potato lifestyles.
 
Like that old saying goes it s not about the size of the dog in the fight it s about the size of the fight in the dog

For example little arch clement confederate bushwhacker and all around psyopath when fatally shot lying on his back was trying to #### his cap and ball revolver with his teeth rather than give up
 
Last edited:
I read some stories years ago that the men that joined the armies back then for three reasons 1 they got fed regularly 2 they figured that the training and work was lots easir than in civvy world 3 they got paid for it
 
Back
Top Bottom